Viscous Damper Manufacturers

I need to damp out a sharp resonance. I need one of two things:

A rotary viscous damping material that can be placed between a machine and it's mounting platform; it needs to have some spring as well as damping. Ideally it would be a chunk of engineered elastomer that could be glued between an inner and outer barrel in a mount then forgotten about.

A linear damper, with or without springiness. I'm looking to see what Bimba has, but I don't know who else might have something.

I don't have to actually make these work I'm just the idea guy (tee hee) who needs to make one or two solid suggestions to the poor guy who needs to actually retrofit these into his machine.

These need to work in a moderately severe outdoor environment, over the industrial temperature range or better, with dust, rain, sand, elephant pee*, etc., etc., etc.

Got any company names to suggest? Web sites?

Thanks.

  • OK, maybe not that.
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Thanks; this looks like just the kind of thing I need.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Lucky...I usually have to implement what I design. Especially when I volunteer an idea and the project leader says, "Why don't you make one of those for us..."

Reply to
woodworker88

There are some rubber like, electrometric?, units that are use for building trailers. Also Barrymount is a name brand that you can investigate.

will get you started. lg no neat sig line

Reply to
larry g

Figure out what you need..and maybe I can get you a brother in law price

Gunner

Gunner

If it is a sharp resonance at a frequency that does not change, you might consider adding a leaf type spring with a weight on it tuned to that frequency. The energy will transfer to the spring and weight and be disipated there.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

I only get excused from the work if it's a mechanical change, and the designer and I still have to work together to get something practical that still embodies what I was asking for. Software changes I just do, and electrical changes only get taken out of my hands after I've blocked out the circuit & shown that it'll work, but before I can really claim credit.

What's almost worse is that I have gained a reputation for coming up with offbeat, but workable solutions to difficult problems. Since I'm also a smartass this means that every once in a while I'll make an absurd suggestion trying for a few yuks only to have someone with clout look inspired and say "heyyy, that may be the solution -- Tim, why don't you work out the math..."

Noooooo

Reply to
Tim Wescott

A short piece of multi-strand steel cable can serve well as a spring. There's a lot of internal friction there. It's sometimes used on high-tension transmission lines and tower stays.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Avins

That's an interesting thought, I may plug that into my model and see if it'll work. I have some very nice solutions that involve dampers, but they may not interest the folks who actually have to make the changes.

The only drawback I see to your resonant damping idea is the fact that it'll need to be tuned if the natural frequency of the system changes -- my customer is building something to work with _other_ customer's equipment; while we can guarantee that any installation of this type will resonate we can't be certain of the exact frequency until the customer finishes his equipment & hangs it on.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Consider removing the resonant frequencies from your command trajectory:

jeff

Good idea but it's not an option here -- the resonance is not only in the control loop but it's right around the gain crossover frequency. Simply notching it out means reducing loop bandwidth by a factor of 10 or so, and there's external disturbances that mean I need that bandwidth. I can mirror the resonance and anti-resonance with a lossy notch and a lossy resonance in closed-loop, but then I have to worry about tuning for different customers.

Killing the resonance looks _very_ attractive.

Reply to
Tim Wescott