Vise handle ends?

I'm making a handle for my 3" milling vise. For simplicity, it will probably be a sliding bar handle type. Has anyone come up with something spiffy to make the sliding bar ends? Making spheres and tapping them seems to be customary. Anyone have something different?

Thanks,

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

Check out page 1143

Ball knob - threaded.

Martin Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

axolotl wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

We had to turn a shaft for the handle, and two knobs for our vises in school. The shaft had reduced ends and the knobs had countersunk holes. The shaft ends were peened into the countersunk holes to retain the knobs. See:

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

Go to the "Browse" page to enter the catalog page number.

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

I've seen small vises with the center bar threaded on both ends, then larger rod segements tapped axially about half-way through for that thread and screwed on. The rod segments are usually about as long as they are wide, they don't look too bad. Bevel the ends slightly to remove sharp edges. Larger vises sometimes have leather washers at the handle ends, keeps the noise down when the bar slides through. I've used rubber o-rings for the same purpose on the smaller vises, you can also slide them along to keep the bar centered, if desired. For cheap and cheesy, you could use a long bolt and turn the hex head down to a cylinder.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

The bar handle on the bench vise in my shop has cylindrical ends, somewhat shorter than their diameter, bored to fit over the turned down ends of the bar which have then been peened to retain the cylinder. By countersinking one end of the cylinder, the peened bar can then be filed flush. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Hi Robin, thats a nice piece of work. Hope I can eventually do as well.

Andrew VK3BFA.

Reply to
Andrew VK3BFA

Thank you. The finish was achieved with a file (if you can't make it right, make it bright!) The slot in which the moving jaw rides in the vice body was milled to better than .001" so it actually slides very nicely. At shop rate that vice is worth more than $3000.

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

You can do cylinders or barrels - beer ones - end wise or in a T :-) wood grain optional. You could 'blue' them brown and the handle blue.

Martin [ causing trouble again ] Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

axolotl wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Heat and upset the bar stock to produce a thick end and then dress to shape.

Reply to
bamboo