WTB precision 1/8 inch aluminum plate

Hello,

I need a commercial source for aluminum plate, 0.125 inch thick plus or minus 0.002 inches. Jig plate would probably qualify but I have not found any thinner than 0.25 inches. I am not particular about the type of aluminum as long as it can be drilled and milled and probably black annodized.

The finished product is a little smaller than 2 inches square but I prefer to machine several from a 4 inch by 9.5 inch sheet.

Tom Hubin snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net

Reply to
Tom Hubin

Perhaps you're having trouble because 1/8" aluminium would be so flimsy as to not be useful?

I don't think it would be hard to mill down whatever you could find which would adequately hold its shape though.

Just a thought...

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

Hello Robin,

I can mill to thickness if absolutely necessary but I prefer buying stock with a controlled thickness.

MSC might have what I need but MSC does not list tolerances on aluminum plate.

McMaster Carr #9134K161 is 12 inch by 4 inch by 0.125 inch 3003 aluminum with +/- 0.0006 inch tolerance on the thickness. That will work for me if it is machinable without too much grief.

I need to drill 1/8 inch diameter holes and mill 1/8 inch wide slots through the stock. I am accustomed to 6061 aluminum. Does 3003 aluminum machine much differently than 6061 aluminum?

Tom Hubin snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net

Reply to
Tom Hubin

Try Metal Source in Woburn MA. (781) 932-0482

Metal Source is the drops and cut offs department of Admiral Metals, a very large supplier of non ferrous metals.

Talk to Ed, a very nice fellow who will be happy to help you out.

They ship via UPS no problem.

Errol Groff Instructor, Machine Tool Department H.H. Ellis Tech

613 Upper Maple Street Danielson, CT 06239

860 774 8511 x1811

Errol Groff

Road sign blanks from a sign shop? Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Greetings Tom, I use a place local to me that does double disc grinding. I have several jobs requiring aluminum plate in odd thicknesses and tight flatness and thickness tolerances. You could buy 3/16 thick bar 2" wide, chop to a rough length, and have them double disc ground. If you're doing lots of pieces the cost per piece is small enough that you can't machine them youself cheaper. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

--Try TCI; they offer this sort of stuff, Blanchard ground and guaranteed flat, parallel, etc. URL:

steamer