Latest threads in ⚙ Model Engineering in the UKshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Grinding / Finishing Plastics
Morning All, Ive just started a new job, and we have some prototype parts made by rapid prototyping, in (I think) polycarbonate. The process involves laying down 'slices' of the part in consecutive...
7
7

Non Ferrous foundry recommendations
All Can anyone recommend a decent foundry for Al-Alloy Sandcastings? Can be anywhere in the UK. I do a lot of work for a vintage car spares company, and just about blew my top the other day over...
4
4

markings
Tipex.
6
6

Milling machine spindle
Perhaps a dumb question, but is there any reason why the spindle of a vertical milling machine should be able to operate in the reverse direction? For horizontal ones, it can be useful - but for...
10
10

Experiences with steppers for dividing heads.
Firstly, thanks to all of you who contributed helpful comments to this project. 1. Some years ago I was given some scrap electronic equipment from a local hospital (wouldn't happen now, what with...
1
1

alternator
Anyone know a good (=cheap) place to get a 240V single phase alternator? mate is after one for a Lister TR2 twin cyl generator, direct drive, 10-13KVA can't see any on ebay at the moment.
9
9

Danger, Sellotape!
In the prototyping phase, I had the stepper motors and their controllers set up on the office desk. In order to see the motors revolving I had attached small flags made of Sellotape to the spindles....
2
2

OT Skoda Octavia Electronics Problem
My Skoda Octavia diesel displayed a fault on the dash showing a fault with the pre-heaters. An owed favour gave me an electronic read out saving me a lot of money that the fault was my brake lights....
3
3

Sanity check, please?
EN24 cylinder, inside diameter 50 mm, outside diameter 95 mm, wall thickness 22.5 mm. To be pressurised to 50,000 psi - that's the figure in the relevant literature, and it seems about right - its...
3
3

Demon Server
Those of you with Demon and are not getting access to Usenet posts etc. Just spoke to Demon about this. The techy finally admitted that they have had a problem with their news server for 1 1/2 months...
5
5

5th of November
For anyone who missed the TV airing of the re-enactment the video's on on youtube in 8 parts. Awesome and well presented. of this OTT American reporting that seems to be the norm on TV these days....
4
4

How flat are gravestones ???
In a job lot of kit purchased, I've aquired a 2 foot x 3 foot granite surface table in pretty abused condition. I'm tempted to get a local monumental mason to put it through his gravestone polisher,...
20
20

Vesconite?
=== Unable to find the specified "Oilite" bushes locally for the Bremen Walking Beam Stirling engine I am building, I am looking at machining some from Vesconite rod, see are specified for the main...
1
1

Printing a protractor?
In my experiments using a stepper motor to drive a dividing head, I'd like to re-assure myself by knowing exactly the position of the stepper motor. What I'd like to be able to do is to print a...
38
38

Model Engineer magazine pricing question
Hi, Does anyone know what a reasonable price would be for a complete year of ME magazine ? I have quite a few years worth I don't really have room for and was considering putting them up on eBay. They...
7
7