Latest threads in ⚙ Model Engineering in the UKshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Dehumidifiers
-I was wondering if using a dehumidifier in the workshop will be -- expensive to -run? The workshop is around15ft square. I am currently -insulating the flat -roof with fiberglass and plasterboarding...

Dehumidifiers
I was wondering if using a dehumidifier in the workshop will be expensive to run? The workshop is around15ft square. I am currently insulating the flat roof with fiberglass and plasterboarding it out....
14
14

Knock knock, anyone in?
Looking very quiet today, just wondering if everyone's gone away. Martin
7
7

What platic to use?
Ths is a follow up to the question I asked a couple of weeks ago. Thanks for all of the replies, they were very helpful, and I now have some confidence that I can machine plastic! I ended up using PVC...
2
2

What's so bad about R8?
Look, I've been machining stuff here in America for over 30 years. done lotsa work on Bridgeports with R8 collets. I have even modified a horizontal mill I own to accept R8 collets. It was originally...
5
5

How do you do it...Rolled edge on tinplate
How do you..... "roll" an edge on tinplate like that seen on old tobacco tins so that you have a nice smooth edge? Is there a simple machine that can be used/made in the home workshop? I only want to...
2
2

Electronic Rev counter
Somewhere I have read an article on building an electronic rev counter for the lathe, but the brain cell being what it is, temperamental at best, refuses to remember where. Having "googled" (new...
7
7

0,8mm Plywood
Not true engineering, but can not find any on the net. Were can I get 0.8mm thick plywood. I need 6 sheets 300mm x 1200mm
9
9

Need help sourcing a new motor
Hi all
18
18

Any subject.
Decided not to work today,first Sunday in years,and I`m bored rigid. All the usual groups are dead,the yanks aren`t up yet,never again. Someone must have some subject they want to post about even if...
19
19

Saws for metal
For larger bar stock, the bandsaw is generally used. For smaller stock, say 1", can you use a chop-type rotary saw? They are much cheaper, but I don't know about toothed blades for metal. I have one...
20
20

Bandsaw Blade for Aluminium
Spent half the day getting nowhere with Google so can anyone recommend a place to buy a quality Bandsaw blade that is specific to cutting Aluminium??? I've a Dewalt DW738 and need a 82 1/2" (2095mm)...
5
5

Microscope?
There's a kind of microscope which you can fit in eg the chuck of a pillar drill or mill, adjust the position of the workpiece so a scribed mark is central, then replace it with a drill bit - which...
5
5

Turning & drilling speeds
Whenever I see recommended drilling and turning speeds I have always assumed the figures were maximum speeds, i.e. any speed below that figure is acceptable, but now I begin to wonder if they aren't...
15
15

Disposing of used coolant
I have about 4 gallons of old coolant (soluble oil and water) that I need to dispose of; the local council tip only accepts used motor oil so that's out. I had thought of trying to separate out the...
26
26