Latest threads in ⚙ Model Engineering in the UKshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

where did all the locos go?
I've just been reading a pile of Model Engineers from the 1950's. It appears that EVERYBODY (well, every model engineer) built at least one person-hauling model locomotive, and that every ME club had...
7
7

Heads Up - lathe for sale, well maybe
Hi All Following the success of my steel disposal here a while back - I figured that I may as well try this one on you all! One of the University Departments I deal with here in Cambridge has an old...
9
9

need articles from <Model Engineering>
Would SKS be able to scan the articles on the Super Simon engine in Volume 171 #3948, #3950, and a Postbag mention in #3952 of and email them to me? My kids just bought me Vols. 169 and 170 for my...

Problem Cutting 12 tooth Spur Gear
I need to make a 12 tooth 20DP 14.5 degree involute spur gear. I've cut plenty of low tooth count cycloidal clock gears, but this is the first time I've tried to make an involute gear. I started with...
2
2

Jaguar Cub Remote Control Box
Some time back, I bought a Jaguar Cub inverter. Model CUB3A. I have that connected up to drive a three phase motor on my lathe. All works just fine. Now I want to make an external control box for it...
12
12

CNC Mill: Sieg KX1, KX3 or TS M1?
I'm gradually becoming seduced by the idea of CNC on a mill. The question is whether to convert my Tom Senior M1 to CNC, or whether to buy a KX1 or a KX3 - to be honest I like the idea of a new toy!...
31
31

Nottingham engineer wanted
I am looking for someone within about 50 miles of Nottingham who is able and willing to repair a vintage foot pump. The job entails, among other things, making and fitting a catch to keep the pump in...
1
1

Amolco Milling Machine
Has Anyone ever mounted one of these on a Boxford or South Bend . Pics and info appreciated . all the

Mounting quick change toolpost on Bantam question
I've decided to add a piston type quick change toolpost from Chronos (same as the Arc Euro one) to my Bantam 800 (MK1); the problem is that the current toolpost is retained by a large diameter...
3
3

OT: Lawnmower operator presence control
Hi folks, I'm hoping someone here can answer a legal question for me, as I can't find the answer online. A friend told me recently that if you have a lawnmower, and pay someone to use it, it must be...
15
15

How does one dissasemble a Burnerd four jaw chuck?
Having taken the four jaw of the ML7 tonight and put the three jaw on to do some rough work, I thought that the four jaw could do with a bit more of a clean up than it normally gets. I'm sure that...
2
2

involute gear question
Reading Ivan Law's book about gears again I see that the line of action increases in length as the pressure angle increases. Does increasing the pressure angle also increase the center to center...

Bridgeport draw bars looking for a home
Sorting out some stuff just now I realised I still have two unused replacement Bridgeport (type M) draw bars. I collected these amongst a pile of stock from a company that closed down about six years...

Vulcan Beam Engine drawings.
I have acquired a set of castings for the Vulcan Beam Engine featured in the Model Engineer construction series started in October 1954. Would any kind soul happen to have a set of drawings...
1
1

Thumping cast-iron
I need to mark some hole positions out on a cast-iron lathe backplate - is it OK to use a transfer punch and give it a good wallop? Or could it fracture? I've never worked with c.i. before but vaguely...
6
6