Latest threads in ⚙ Model Engineering in the UKshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Advice on moving Lathe
I need to move a Boxford AUD (underdrive with stand) Mid Wales to Cheltenham. Any suggestions as to who could do it for me, or should I consider trying it on my own hiring a van with a tail-lift? I...
12
12

How to remove the carriage from a Super 7 ?
I need to strip and overhaul top slide, cross slide and carriage. How do I get the carriage off the end of the bed ? Jim Hawkins
11
11

Regrinding surface plate
Does anyone know a firm in England that has a regrinding service for surface plates ? I have a 12" X 15" cast iron surface plate and there's no firm where I live (Isle of Man) can do it. Jim Hawkins
19
19

OT..One to Test You
Our local ASDA, recently refurbished, does indeed still use the system to take cash away from the tills but it seems to be entirely a one-way system. I'm fairly sure that when the place was first...
16
16

OT - anyone want a new hard disk?
Just treated myself to one of these seeing as hard disks are so cheap now. being a dick, I failed to either know or notice that SATA is a new thing whereas my old pc isn't. I need an ATA drive not a...
3
3

OT....One to Test You....
Gentlemen A very long time ago, in the late forties, perhaps when 'our' Norman was a lad, grocery shops such as the Co-op used to have a central cashier's office, rather than individual tills located...
16
16

Another One Bites the Dust
Crane Fluid Systems in Ipswich just announced that it's sold its site for housing development. That's 43 acres of iron and bronze foundries, engineering shops, and manufacturing lines that will be...
21
21

Looking for some lead pipe
Hi folks, Purely out of curiousity, I want to try making some "wiped" joints in lead pipe. I'd like to find some which has been stripped out of a building. Probably 6 to 8 feet, although it's fine if...
27
27

OT Broadband
Well Pipex and I have finally parted on their Max service for fifteen and a half months of which I have actually been able to stay connected more than a minute or so for only eleven to say they have...
16
16

Atmos Clocks
I am thinking of treating myself to a used Atmos clock, anyone out ther have any experience with them and is there anything I should look ou for ie common faults and botch ups that I could be caught...
4
4

Anyone seen the Coldharbour Mill beam engine?
I have just spotted a u-tube video of the Kittoe and Brotherhood beam engine at Coldharbour Mill in Devon, which looks very much like the Stothert and Pitt engine I am building as a model - and is...

"If in doubt, ask"
I'm proud of myself. Tonight I finished a part that I'd been working on for just over a week. Within half a thou in diameter, a couple of tenths taper over its length. and within half a thou of 9/16"...
15
15

For sale: Live steam twin cylinder crane engine with boiler on ebay
Live steam twin cylinder crane engine with boiler on ebay Lee

1/32nd dia balls
Having just repaired a couple of Mercer dial test indicators I have some 1/32nd inch dia bearing balls available. 8p each plus postage. (5 balls each side of the stylus pivot). I also have 900 odd...

selling a Drummond lathe
I have my fathers old Drummond 3 1/2" lathe I want to sell. I realise I could put it up on Ebay but was wondering if there are other (better) places to sell it? Thanks mike BTW if anyone interested...
2
2