Latest threads in ⚙ Model Engineering in the UKshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

cutting speeds for lathe
Does anyone know where I can get information of cutting speeds for cast, 316, gun metal etc. I`m new to metal turning and would like to have some idea of what speed to run my lathe at. Pete
14
14

Carbon brush suppliers?
Looking for brushes for a Lister Everyman horse clipper, they are 5.9 x 4.8 mm, no wire. I've only found domestic appliance spares via google so far. Any suggestions? I've skimmed the commutator, do I...
13
13

OT car radio aerial
I have a Ford Transit. The screw in, roof mounted, aerial has broken off. It has an M4 thread (male). I've only seen M5/M6 threaded aerials. Anyone know different before I tap the mounting? Thanks...
1
1

Wiring the Workshop....Garage!
My inquiry is:- Should I use top sockets like MK for around £12 a sho or cheapies at £3.50 a shot? Metal clad of course. BTW, I don't wish to get into the 'should I do it myself bit/part argument'...
23
23

Re. Chronos Kit
Hi Guy, If you look to the rear of the handwheel on the base casting, right hand side you will find a 4mm grub screw, screwing this out allows the lever that puts it in and out of mesh to travel...

ML7 OIL NIPS
Hi ya, I bought some new ball type oil nipples from Myfords while at their open week, which Ipromptly installed in place of the originals. Obviously, I can't use an ordinary oil can on these nipples,...
10
10

steel grades
while we're on the subject... I'd value some input on steel for the following: one of the things I'm doing requires a stub axle to carry a wheel. This is 20mm dia., and I currently make them (as...
14
14

Capacitor Size
i have a friend .. who has a very old motor ...lkooks a strange one ...with either a big bearing on the front or epicyclic gearbox. the caps buggered on it ...keeps popping the earth leakage says its...
6
6

EN51??
I need to make a few 2T semi-diesel hot tubes which are subject to both an external blowlamp and internal combustion heat. External spalling is the biggest issue I think. The original drawings call...
11
11

Flamefast Help
I've just picked up a Flamefast DS220 brazing hearth/forge. It's very similar to this: 's currently set up for natural gas and I want to use it on propane. Aside from calling Flamefast and paying them...
4
4

Harrison M250
I am considering creating a "Hobby" workshop and have the offer of purchasing a Harrison M250. Would the group feel that this is too big for model type work? First project would probably be a small IC...
2
2

Boring to a face on a mill
Given that bores for bearings etc often bottom out to a face, how do members deal with this if they only have a boring head for the mill? (not a boring and facing head) Let us assume that the part in...
4
4

Bevel Gears
. Can any kind soul point me towards a source of ready made bevel gears please? Seeking a couple of sets 14:41 with the 'crown-wheel' at around 82 mm. Indeed the ratio is not important. Not looking...
2
2

Aligning the tailstock?
Hello again, Basic question no 537 from me: I'm about to start my first 'real' machining job. It is basicall drilling out a 120mm long, 12mm o.d. bar to 8mm i.d., and relieving th ends slightly to...
31
31

Steel and diamond
I have to grind some steel using a diamond tool. Any tips on extending tool life? Thanks, -- Peter Fairbrother
5
5