Latest threads in ⚙ Model Engineering in the UKshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Chocolate Coated Sprouts
Heard that one on the radio today. Thought it was a particularly good idea as 'treats' to dish out to the little buggers who may come calling tonight. Unfortunately we heard it far too late to prepare...
4
4

Chronos kit.
Just taken delivery of one of the Shoba 6 inch rotary table kits, with the extras, indexer, centre, etc etc, and a few other bits and pieces from Chronos... 1/ Obviously haven't had a chance to use it...
9
9

Gingery videos
Found some interesting video clips here of Gingery's machines: Tony David J Gingery Publishing books written especially for inventors machinists tinkerers geniuses at large and a few others

Oil cans
Why do pump action oil cans leak? I have two that both mysteriously accumulate oil over the outside and onto the shelf where they are kept. I initially thought changes in air pressure were causing the...
11
11

SERT Gone?
I hadn't been to the shop for a while, but popped down on Saturday to look for a small Jacobs chuck on a 2MT shank, to find that the Sert Precision shop in Farnham, near Slough is no more. It seems to...
7
7

Anyone got a surplus 2" bore hydraulic ram?
Hi all, Does anyone have an unwanted 2" bore hydraulic ram? Preferably as long as possible. It's okay if the seals leak, I just want the body. Why? I want to use it to build a spud gun. Using a ram...
16
16

It went for how much..????
These Delapena thingies always go for a fortune: DELAPENA/MYFORD LATHE PORTABLE PRECISION HONING TOOLS CONTROL HEADS, HONES, MANDRELS, TRUING STICKS & STONES Item number: 320171860218 Are they...
1
1

Compressor Workings
I have a compressor that does not have an automatic cut-off switch, I either let the safety valve blow or keep turning it off manually. So I purchased some Sealey parts (incidentally remarkably cheap...
5
5

Lathe overhead gear
Do people still use overhead gear on lathes for driving cutters on the cross slide, or have small electric motors made this redundant? The only "modern" pictures I can find of such equipment are...
9
9

US thread taps
Does anyone know where I might buy a 5/8-20UN tap? A spiral point would be great, but any port in a storm! Steve (Sheffield)
12
12

Bridgeport Quill Return Springs
Something of a blatant plug I'm afraid.... A couple of weeks back someone was asking how to get a Quill Return Spring for their Miller. I have looked back through the old posts for 'our' group but...
1
1

Myford Factory Visit Today.
Hello yet again, (yes, two posts in one evening!) I went to the Myford Factory open day this afternoon - it was reall great, but I found it quite sad at the same time. I think I was th youngest...
22
22

ML7 Collets & General Update on Lack of Progress.
Hello again Folks, You will all no doubt not be at all surprised that I haven't ye started on a 'proper' machining project (been busy recently wit parenthood for the first time). I have read the Tubal...
37
37

Source for small 0.25hp motors
I have a lorch lathe that has a 3 phase motor on that I want to run o an inverter. As the star point is in the motor does anyone know a goo source for cheap 3 phase motors that are star / delta wound...
3
3

Megga readings on a motor
I have just aquired an old geared head drill press. The motor has wires so I have cut the star point off and paired them up in delta an conected to an Mitsubishi inverter i have inverter goes up to...
4
4