4mm electrodes on 180A sets

I've lost the original thread on this, but Christopher (was it he?) & maybe others might find this of interest. I got several packets of 4mm Nexus E6013 as part of a deal (involving a lathe chuck!) a couple of years ago. It's not a size that I use often, so they have just sat on the shelf. I believe Nexus is the 'cooking' brand of one of the big companies (BOC??) Tried some the other day, & I was quite pleasantly surprised. They quote a welding current of around 150/160A, I could run them quite happily on or about the 180A setting of my 225A Oxford, on the end of

200m of 16mmsq 240V mains cable (and 30m of welding cable!). Quite easy to use, can be used as a 'touch' electrode if you prefer, smooth running, reasonable for both up & down verticals (& I'm no good with down verticals with sticks).

Absolutely no connection, & your opinions may differ, etc etc.

Tim Dutton Dry-Dock Traditional & Modern canal craft repairs Vintage diesel engine service

Reply to
Tim Leech

Yes, it was me.

That's interesting. I expected to find that my 180 A set would struggle with 4 mm electrodes. It didn't. It was fine with both E6011 and E6012. I'm glad I didn't buy a bigger set!

So, for the record, it seems that 180 A Oxford-style sets can handle 4 mm electrodes just fine.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Ah, but not *all* 4mm electrodes. Mine struggled with some 3.2 rods!

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech