Latest threads in ⚙ Model Engineering in the UKshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

I've outgrown my Myford
--Have reached a point where I need a lathe with greater capacity (in terms of diameter that can be held in a chuck) than my Super 7B. I'm curious what others have adopted as a 'standard' larger...
14
14

Bronze nuts and bolts
Looking for bronze hex or cap head nuts and bolts in small sizes, say M1.6 to M3 or equivalent, eg 6-10BA. Medium quantities, say a hundred so or so of each. Can't be silicon bronze or aluminium...
2
2

Looking for book on how steam locomotives work
Hi. I am interested in making a model steam locomotive, but before I start I would like to find out what's going on inside one. One book looks good to me: "How steam locomotives really work" by...
3
3

drill small holes at an angle?
I would like to make a series of 3mm angled holes (20,22,24 degrees) in a small piece of Tufnol, around 12 mm deep. I have quite a few hand tools (both woodworking and metalworking), but my only...
18
18

Anyone happen to have recent copies of the Horological Journal?
I've been told that there is a letter in the letters page of one of the recent issues of HJ that I would find interesting, by a gent name of Martin Burgess. If anyone out there has a current HJ...

Acme leadscrew supplier? DIY anti-backlash nuts...?
Hi, can any denizen of the group recommend an UK supplier for Imperial leadscrews? I'm after a replacement for my cross-slide screw (5/8" x 8tpi Acme, left-hand thread, very worn!) that won't be too...
27
27

Flutes in end mills
What difference does the number of flutes an endmill has make? I was going to ask "which is better 1, 2, 3, 4 or more flutes?", but I imagine the different types have different uses. (I just saw some...
11
11

Diamond Wheel Dressing
Had look at a professional diamond wheel dresser. It's a horizontal spindle in what looks a bit like a tailstock casting.. One end carries what looks like a bog standard 4" x 1" aloxite other end has...

Anyone local want my home made foundry?
You will need to be local to come and collect, I am near Blackburn & Darwen area and is basically the tub some old crucibles and burner sand and casting boxes. Not used for years, need to get some...
2
2

Boxford AUD Mk II 4 1/2" X 24"
I have just purchased a Boxford AUD Mk II Lathe with masses of associated bits & pieces as a replacement for my very old Myford Super Seven B. I have a genuine copy of the parts book but no operators...
2
2

aligning letter stamps for names?
Marking an item with separate number-and-letter stamps always looks awful if done freehand (these sort of things: I have a dim memory of seeing a guy at a street market with some kind of alignment...
6
6

Bridgeport DRO problem
A manual Bridgeport with standard DRO fitted has a problem on the X axis readout. Basically, it doesn't work, tried swapping the connection at the back of the Heidenhain readout box, no difference. I...
3
3

Where is TDC on a beam engine ?
Is TDC on a beam engine when the piston is at the bottom of its stroke ie piston rod fully depressed or at top of stroke, piston rod fully extended ? This is baffling me. I need to know this so as to...
7
7

Bristol
Anyone going to the Bristol show this weekend? Drinks, Saturday 12.30, bar? I'll have a white hat with a pocket on. of fair-to-good, I think Warco, Chronos and Myford will be there, plus Jenny, but...
2
2

PCL quick release connectors
Does anyone know if these connectors are any good to use for vacuum applications? TIA Bob
8
8