Adcock & Shipley 2ES looking for a (new) home

Thanks to Mark Jones, we seem to have procured a nearly new horizontal milling attachment for the Beaver mill, so the 2ES is going to be redundant.

We would like to see it go to a good home if possible, we bought it cheaply from Home & Workshop Machinery in Kent when they had a yard full out of a local college and wanted to get rid of them in a hurry!

We paid £175 plus VAT so that's what we will be asking, delivery possible by arrangement, but you'll have to have some means to unload at your end. The table is off but is only four nuts to refit. Has power table feeds etc etc.

It is a full size machine and weighs about 1.25 tons, 3phase motor, I have three pictures of it on the trailer when we collected it, but it has been stored under cover and under a sheet at our local farm while we sorted out the doorway to the workshop.

Any interest, give us a shout please.

Peter

Prepair Ltd

Forgot to mention that it has a swivelling table.

Peter

Prepair Ltd

Peter, Any chance of putting the pictures on a web site?

John

Reply to
John Manders

Just got home at midnight, sorry I couldn't do anything earlier!

Yes, but I only have the ones taken when we collected it for now, I'll get some better pics if anyone wants more detail.

Peter

Reply to
Peter A Forbes

God what an ugly machine. Three bob and not a penny more.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

It is innit. Machinery equivalent of Quasimodo.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

I'm sure its mother loved it... :-))

Peter

Reply to
Peter A Forbes

May be ugly, but a very capable machine for a giveaway price. I regret having disposed of my Richmond universal (ok I needed the floor space) which had a similar swiveling table - very useful at times.

BTW Peter, is there a 22mm deadlock holder among your surfeit of ISO

30 holders?

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Is that Dedlock 200? If so, I've been looking for one for years. Did they actually make them in 30 taper? I've not been able to establish whether they did.

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

Not sure Tim, I get confused over the nomenclature (ok I get confused over all sorts or things!) - but basically a 22mm short spigot to centre the cutter, and a pair of pegs to drive it, and a central bolt to hold it on - maybe it's called a shell mill holder ?

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

They did a sort of 'mini-dedlock' which was a 30Int fitting, and I do have one (see posts re tooling a few weeks ago) but the 200 and 300 were, I think, only available in 40Int upwards. I have the full 1976 Clarkson catalogue at home so can confirm that later tonight.

I also recently bought a Dedlock 101, the like of which is not in the catalogue and must be a more recent design. There is lastly an NC Dedlock with fine cutter height adjustment built into the chuck. I'd like to see some instruction for use on this one, as it has three grub screws around the periphery of the body and not the two clamping/locking large headed cap screws of the standard Dedlock (that spelling is correct BTW)

Peter

Prepair Ltd

There is one, see my other post, it also has a cutter with it. I'll check details tonight.

Peter

Prepair Ltd

That sounds more like it.

The dedlock holder has a locating spigot, usually without driving pegs, and a threed onto which the cutter screws (the cutter has an internal thread). There's then a mechanism (2 or 3 different designs over time) to tgihten/loosen the thread. That's probably as clear as mud. Dedlock 150 is the common size in 30 int, also available in 40 I believe, 200 is perhaps the most common for 40 int & there were bigger sizes. I've got stacks of 200 size cutters, would like to be able to use some on my 30 taper mill. Some are obviously way too big, others would be fine on a 30 taper.

I *might* have a spare 22mm shell arbor if Peter hasn't got one. I certainly have some smaller ones surplus to requirements.

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

The small Dedlock has a threaded ring with slots on to lock the cutter to the holder, there aren't any Allen screws at all IIRC.

It does look like a shell mill holder, but it has the thread for the cutter. So the threaded bit goes on first, then the cutter and you tighten the ring against the tool as far as I can see.

Peter

Prepair Ltd

That may be an older design, I have a 200 size holder which sounds a bit like that, though it has a ring which locks *behind* the cutter. I've seen some others which are different again, IIRC they do have keys to engage in slots in the cutter. My dedlock 150 holder is just like most of the bigger ones, with two allen screws, one for locking & the other for unlocking.

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

I have also a 150 and a 200, plus this 101 which I have yet to figure out.

Peter

Prepair Ltd

I've just had a look at my 'older model' 200 size holder. This has a similar mechanism to the later ones except that more of it is external. There's a chunky ring with slots for a c-spanner to tighten it against the cutter - this is on a separate, multi-start thread from the cutter - & then a socket head screw at a tangent to release it. Much clumsier to use than the later models.

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

Miniature Dedlock Chuck

Available in Size A and Size B Size A is for 1" to 1-3/8" Cutters Size B is for 1-1/2" to 2" Cutters All available in 2/3/4MT, 30Int & 40Int Bridgeport R8 This has a C spanner for tightening/undoing the cutter locking ring.

Dedlock 150 Chuck

Capacity 1-1/2" to 3" Available in 3/4MT 30Int 1-3/8" N.S.

40Int Bridgeport R8 4MT Deckel (no tapping in the end) 40Int Deckel (no tapping in the end)

Dedlock 200 Chuck

Capacity 2" to 6" Available in 4/5/6MT 5MT (DIN 1806/2207)

40Int Deckel FP2 No tapping 50Int Arborloc 40Int 50Int

Dedlock 300 Chuck

Capacity not listed Available in 50Int only

In addition to that little lot, nearly all were available with at least 2 or 3 different end tappings, the dedlock 300 for example was available with 1" Whitworth, M24 or 1" NC.

The Hydro-Clarkson website still lists some spares IIRC.

Peter

Reply to
Peter A Forbes

Where does the 22mm come from? If it is the cutter thread then no, as this one is only 3/4".

Peter

Reply to
Peter A Forbes

I won't look any longer for one in 30 Int, then

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech