Best Rated threads in ⚙ Model Engineering in the UKshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Horizontal Steam Engine Problem - how does it work?
I've been asked to sort out a model of a lancashire mill engine and I can't for the life of me understand how it was meant to work. The engine is a single cylinder steam engine with the steam chest on...
6
6

sheet metal shears and cutting 3mm aluminium
I have in mind to buy, possibly pre-owned to meet my budget, sheet metal shears that will cut 3mm aluminium. I'm after the type that you bolt on to a bench and it will have a fairly long handle. I...
2
2

Myford Super 7 lathe
Hi, has anyone taken the screwcutting gearbox off a Myford super 7 and can offer any suggestions. I'm trying to strip the lathe down to get the bed and saddle reground so don't want to disassemble the...
4
4

Surface grinding on a shaper?
I recently bought a book on tool room grinding published by the Carborundum Company. It's quite old but makes interesting reading. One picture is of a shaper with a grinding attachment being used as a...
4
4

Cleaning Trefolex ???
Hi I have an old tin of Trefolex cutting compound which has a lot of metal chips in it - presumably from dipping the tap in directly. I was wondering if heating it till liquid and straining (stirring...
12
12

Warco Formit / 3in1 Metal Formers
Are the Warco Formits any good? I'm needing a set of slip rolls at least 22" wide to make up an exhaust, and the Formit is looking very tempting to save the hassle of building a set from scratch....
2
2

Carbide insert codes and iso equivalent codes
I am looking for info on how to tell what size ISO insert I need from a manufacturers size. Has anyone any info on what the sandvik codes mean? e.g. R390-1704 08M-PM R290.90-12T308PPM I am not sure...
6
6

Following on from 'Rust in Workshop'
Hi all. Thanks for all the replies about rust in my workshop. I'll have a good think of what next to do to rid the rust. No-one picked up upon the question about how I can get rid of the rust on the...
27
27

Left Hand Drill?
Amongst my collection I have a 7/16th Left Hand Twist drill. What would this have ever been used for. First that I have ever seen.
19
19

Hydrovane 5 parts
I have just aquired (foc) a Hydrovane 5 single phase compressor. The unit was dumped as it was leaking oil and air. I have stripped it down and determined the following It could do with new plain...

Inconel or other Jet nozzle materials
evening all, Ive got (yet another) project in planning. It will involve some small jet nozzles (about 1/4" or less) . They will be subjected to centrifugal force (disk of about 12 -18" dia doing a few...
8
8

Boxford Cross Slide
Still trying to refurbish the Boxford AUD. The Cross slide has several thou of movement, mainly in the middle of the travel. The entire slide including the leadscrew can be pulled backwards and...
5
5

HBM Lathe Chucks
Has anyone experience - good or bad - of HBM lathe chucks as sold by RDG? I'm considering getting a 3 - jaw one, but some of RDG's other offerings have been described as 'poor quality' by others (on a...

Thinking of selling my Myford
Having serious thoughts about upgrading from my ML7 now. Before I take some piccies and stick it up for sale in the usual places, any hint of interest here? Unilikely to be cheap though, as it was...
19
19

Will unimat 4 milling post fit unimat 3 ?
Hi, I am hearing from one stockist thet the Unimat 4 Milling Attachment post and head assembly 200 100 will need to have matching holes drilled into its base to be backwards compatible/fir a unimat 3....
3
3

knurling kit.
This will test your patience. The nice chap at Hemingway has sent me very quickly a lovely collection of materials and instructions to make a knurling tool. I have seriously underestimated my...
7
7

Pre Ebay offer-Studer Surface grinder
The above mentioned grinder is going on eBay later tonight, but offered here first. I have inspected the machine and note that there is an internal universal joint and sliding spline that needs repair...
2
2

Caradoc steam tractor
Does anyone know when there was a serialation of the building of Mr Haines Caradoc steam tractor in Model Engineering. Pete
7
7

Proxxon lathe/mill/tools Forum
The Proxxon tools forum is up and running. The Files currently contain factory manuals with parts diagrams for the PD400 and PD230 lathes, the FF230/PF230 mill, and other tools. In the Photos file are...
2
2

Meccano bolts
I guess this is the right newsgroup for this one. Its not quite Sieg v Myford but you can't get more than meccano..... My 7 yr old has one of the (French manufactured) meccano sets. Alas, he is having...
22
22