Faded markings

Hi, Is there besides re-cutting a method to revive fading, probably etched markings on machine parts? I was thinking of somesort of chemical which I saw being used decades ago to trace removed chassis numbers on cars. Dirk

Reply to
Dirk

In article , Dirk writes

I suspect not. The method you refer to almost certainly relies on the fact that a stamped number compresses the metal some way below the surface. Thus, if the number is filed off*, the metal below still retains the compressed impression, and can be revealed by selective etching - the compressed bits will be etched faster or more slowly than the surrounding area.

None of this would help you to revive etched markings, and even stamped markings may not show up as well as all that.

However, this view is not based on any particular experience of trying this, so someone may know better.

David

*Note to would-be-car-abandoners: overstamp the number lots of times with different numbers to really obscure things - bit like the way of doing a security wipe on a hard disc.
Reply to
David Littlewood

stamped

trying

Misspent youth David ????? (G)

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

In article , Andrew Mawson writes

Humph. Well, never had a car to abandon. Did take wife's first car to scrappy long ago, fortunately when clapped out cars still had a positive value (about £30 IIRC).

Hope the industrialisation is still going well. Had a nice trip to Harrogate lined up to combine with business trip to the North, but had to cancel when boss detailed me to go to meeting in London on Thursday.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood