Global Warming and CO2 levels

(Highly relevant to anti 4x4 lobby !!!)
Interesting documentry on channel 4 tonight about global warming. It seems that there is very strong evidence that although CO2 levels
historically have been high when the earth warms up, the level of CO2 LAGS the temperature rise so isn't the cause, but a symptom. However there is historically excellent evidence that earth temperature follows sun activity. The stronger the sun activity the stronger it's magnetic field, and the more cosmic rays are deflected away from earth. Apparently the cosmic rays entering a water laden atmosphere form clouds which reflect the sun, so when the cosmic rays are at a low, so is the cloud cover and up the temperature goes. After a considerable lag the ocean temperature rises a bit, and as CO2 is less soluble in warm water than cold water, more is released into the atmosphere. Apparently the volume of CO2 dissolved in the oceans and naturally being released is orders of magnitude greater than anything man is releasing. Small changes in sea temperature alter the balance.
AWEM
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

You've missed the point. The "Green" policies of the Gov. are about TAX.
Brian
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

And about making it difficult for the 3rd world to compete.
Regards, Tony
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

We are the third world.
. -- Regards,
John Stevenson Nottingham, England.
Visit the new Model Engineering adverts page at:- http://www.homeworkshop.org.uk /
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Not really, do you think the "3rd world" will stop using fossil fuels? Of course they won't. The west will cripple its own economy and will end up as the new "3rd world".
Brian
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

What point? The reliability or otherwise of the science is not dictated by government policy.
--
Charles Lamont

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Andrew Mawson wrote:

A sad story! Really sad that this completely off-topic crap is popping up here too. :-((
Would be much more interesting if you would answer the questions about your toolpost-grinder.
Nick
--
***********************************
*** The lowcost DRO ***
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Nick Mueller wrote:

> > Don't start your teutonic whingeing here! Go pester the yanks.
Tom
--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com


Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

It doesn't do him a lot of good on r.c.m. I was fairly impressed on how well you gents kept on topic until this global warming thread came along.
Wes
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

came
Sorryeeeeeeee !
AWEM
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Thats okay. It is your newsgroup after all.
Wes
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

popping up

about your

Nick,
If I had a tool post grinder I would gladly answer any question you ask, but I don't so I can't !
AWEM
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Andrew Mawson wrote:

Confused names, sorry!
Nick
--
***********************************
*** The lowcost DRO ***
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

That's me! No decent reports yet because I haven't made as much progress as I wanted on the balancing front (Now there is a surprise!). I hope to have another run tonight to see if The work I have done has improved the balance of the wheel holder. I won't be able to do much with it this weekend because I'll be at work rebuilding four racks full of computers.
There will be a report!
The good news (for me) is that I was doing some work in the right part of the world and managed to stop at ArcEurotrade on the way home and pick up 45 of the 47 bearings I had ordered for the Hardinge HLV. The remaining two hare a bit more difficult because they are sold for aviation use and might be a bit harder to get without all the expen$ive paperwork. (Don't know what aeroplanes retractable topslides for. Maybe screw cutting can be an aerobatic manoeuvre).
Mark Rand RTFM
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Andrew Mawson wrote:

I didn't realise this was a 4 x 4 newsgroup (not that I mind) ! I don't see the number of driving wheels having a big influence on the planet - compared to (for example) one power station a week being commissioned in China (and why not, they want electric lights, TVs, and fridges too).
I hope all the technical committees and specialist academics studying this around the world watched the same TV program as you. I didn't see it, so can't comment, but basically we would need a massive and universal acceptance of the global warming argument if we are going to really change our ways. The politicians won't move otherwise. But for now we are going to continue down the same path and have to wait until the evidence proves it one way or the other (tweaking at the edge being discounted for sake of argument).
Just in case the academics are right, my advice is to make sure you don't live in a flood plain and get a thermally efficient house that will take strong winds (just to be on the safe side!). The cost of heating will go up as the North Sea gas runs out - that has already started. Crude oil has rocketed in the last year (from $30 to $60 a barrel) and is not coming down which hardly hurts the motorist as most of what he pays is tax, but it hurts heating fuel, and farmers, and fishermen.
Even if global warming is a false alarm, we have a faster growing demand for fuel than we have had in ages, and supply is a getting tight. The times are a changing, and thankfully this actually means that big companies are looking for engineers again, and due to the fact so many people have been studying law, philosophy, marine biology, drama and dance, and home economics, the supply isn't meeting demand.
Engineering is on the up.
Steve
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Hi Steve,
Your remark reminds me of what someone replied to me when I said that as far as the media were concerned there were a shortage of Engineers. He said "we don't need a shortage, we need some demand". If you compare the hourly rate that a plmber or sparks can earn c.f. e.g. a jobbing SW engineer (let alone an accountant or lawyer) you will see that engineering is not on the up. Engineering has pissed off overseas and it won't be coming back.
Jmo,
--
Boo

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Boo wrote:

I am appalled at the way the big companies act. In Europe it has been as plain as the nose on your face that the engineering workforce in critical area such as oil and gas had been ageing (and probably the railways too). Oil and gas started coming ashore in the 1970s and now a lot of people are 30 years older and thinking about well-earned retirement. The age -distribution of the workforce was obvious to those that run the company - and yet at the same time they have been happy to see courses closed all over the country. Industry should be sponsoring students and courses, but they haven't been (and I blame both industry and the goverment here).
I am thinking of England in particular, as the title "engineer" still has deserved respect in Germany, though I understand that the lack of people studying the discipline stretches across Europe.
Now that the crunch has come the global companies are busy setting up technical centres in India where engineers are abundant and cheap. But they are but apprentices to the time-served hands in Europe - and the experience they lack is of critical importance.
If you look at the top car racing teams you might be surprised how many are based in England, even BMW, even US champ cars. We still are the very best, if money is no object ! When they are all built in India, then I will really worry !
Steve
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

It is important for a few years, but information is very portable and unskilled labour can be trained into skilled labour over 5 years. Price is everything.

What you say is true, but there are unfortunately very few areas of engineering where cost is no object. In the field of consumer goods cost is everything and the reason we have a racing industry is because we used to be a car manufacturing nation. Wave goodbye now before they, too, are gone.
--
Boo

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 8 Mar 2007 18:08:43 -0800, "Cheshire Steve"

BMW as in the F1 racing bit, one time sponsors and "partners" of Williams F1 are now based in Switzerland having taken over Sauber some time ago. The engines always came from Germany and their UK presence is and always was close to zero.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Cheshire Steve wrote:

True, but it's changing maybe. Penske Racing has left Poole, not sure where they have relocated though. I don't even follow motor racing anymore.
I used to work in engine development, and still the UK is the place to come to with the likes of Ricardo's and Lotus (The consultancy arm) getting a lot of the automotive work. The little firm I was involved with had multi million dollar contracts with the US's Darpa and The Honeywell company. Shame they wasted all those dollars! On the other hand they had smaller value contracts with Taiwanese and Indian motorcycle companies.
There's does seem to be still a demand for the smaller sub contract engineering business's. I'm personally busier than I have ever been.
Wayne...
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Polytechforum.com is a website by engineers for engineers. It is not affiliated with any of manufacturers or vendors discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.