ML7 thrust bearing sleeve query

I posted the following message on the MyMyford group in the hope somebody
would have some experience of maintenance of these machines. Perhaps I will
have more luck here.
Thanks, Cliff.
In the process of investigating a knocking noise in the headstock of my ML7
I have have had to dismantle the headstock. This is the second time I have
done this and both times the distance sleeve (item B13 in the Myford manual,
part number 70/1240) to the right of the spindle thrust bearing has been
tremendously tight on the spindle. Bashing the spindle out of this sleeve
and the drive pulley required all my strength behind a 2lb. hammer and still
took 20 blows. There was no corrosion, pitting, scratches or any other fault
holding it on; indeed the surfaces involved are the original finely ground
finishes with no marks at all.
I am inclined to ease the fit somehow, but before I do can anybody suggest
why this sleeve should be so tight? It butts against a shoulder on the
spindle so the thrust bearing will hold it in place, hence I can see no need
for it not to be loose and still function properly.
Incidentally the lathe is number K8733 with the original white metal
bearings.
Cliff Coggin.
Reply to
Cliff Coggin