Possible to turn HSS with HSS tools ?

Hi,

I read that it is possible to turn HSS with HSS tools but it seems hard to believe. Has anyone done this ? What's the best lubricant to use ? Is it a bit susceptible to fracturing on an interrupted cut ?

Thanks,

Boo

Reply to
Boo

Well it is possible to anneal hss, machine it, then re-harden. But true hss is not the easiest stuff to harden and temper. 'gauge plate' 'oil hardening steel' 'drill rod' - or 'silver steel' can easily be annealed and re-treated in the home workshop, but hss needs very close temperature control.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

The shank end of HSS drill bits may be soft enough to turn down in a lathe with an HSS tool.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Thanks to you both for your answers but I need to turn down a neck onto a ball ended milling cutter so as to turn it into a rounded end t-slot cutter. I'm sure I read somewhere in a ME book that if you break off eg a HSS parting tool inside the groove then you can carry on turning it with a new tool bit and the broken off HSS bit will be turned down with the work ?

Is turning down the edges of TiN coated HSS cutter unfeasible dyk ?

Just wondered if anyone here had had a reason to try it ? I'm not going to attempt to anneal it then re-harden : if it's not possible to turn it then I may have a go with a dremel...

Thanks,

Boo

Reply to
Boo

In article , Boo writes

Have you got, or do you know anyone with, a tool & cutter grinder? That's what they are made to do.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

This is a tap I necked down on a worn-out surface grinder I bought for $100:

It still serves as a tool grinder and milling machine for hardened steel. It put the proper angles on the gear tooth flycutter at the top:

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I'd try a carbide tipped tool.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Dawes

It all rather depends on what sizes and material to be cut are involved. I understand that you can machine soft HSS and then get it hardened but if you have only a one off job, then why not use a silver steel tool and keep it cool, it will cut most metals if use carefully. You could get a HSS tool modified by a grinding. Give us more info and I am sure a solution will come forward.

Reply to
petercolman45

You can use a conical die grinder stone to form a concave half circle of any custom size in hardenable thin steel such as an old circular saw blade, then use it as a form tool or gauge to make a half-round flycutter.

I grind corner-rounding HSS lathe bits that way. Once the curve has been roughed close to size I mark the stone with a laundry marker at the correct diameter and run the mark up to the cutting edge. The stone's taper automatically provides relief all around. jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Has anyone any experience of machining HSS with a carbide tool?

Some years ago I had to cut through the hardened steel bolt of a locked door which had a broken key in it without damaging the frame or door. Neither HSS drills or a carbon steel hacksaw would even mark it but I was able to cut it with the cheap small carbide slot drills from JB Cutting Tools - luckily I had bought a handful of them at a show as I broke 3 before cutting through the bolt - a hand held drill does not make a good milling machine particularly as carbide is so brittle.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Dawes

Greetings Alan, I have machined taps and endmills (AKA slot drills) several times with carbide tools on the lathe. The machining in all cases was to relieve the tool past the cutting edges. It's tough on the carbide but it will work. I have also milled the center of broken taps out in order to remove them. Eric

Reply to
etpm