Recommendation for jobber and lip-spur drill sets?

I'm tired of rummaging in a huge box of mixed metric and imperial drills to find the right size so I'm going to ask Santa to deliver a couple of
nice new metric boxed sets. Something like: - jobbers: 1-10mm in 0.1mm increments and 10-12mm in 0.5mm increments - lip-spur: 2-10mm in 0.5mm increments. Where's a good place to buy decent drill sets at a reasonable price? Is Dormer still the name to look for. What coatings are worthwhile?
(Sent to d-i-y and rec.models.engineering)
no snipped-for-privacy@thanks.com wrote:

Lip and spur drills from wealden tools are very good indeed. Not sure if they do sets I've bought min individually with extras of the small sizes but in several years of woodwork, none have failed.
As for engineering drills, dormer presto osborn etc are all good. Consider also a set of stub drills especially in standard tapping sizes if you do any threading or lathe work. Again stick to classic brands
On 20/11/15 15:02, no snipped-for-privacy@thanks.com wrote:

If you buy 1-10 mm in 0.1 mm increments you won't use 80% of them. 0.5 mm increments plus the tapping drill sizes should be perfectly adequate, buy singles of other sizes as necessary. I buy Dormer drills, usually from MSC, they have sets here: http://www.mscdirect.co.uk/CGI/INSRCH?Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Keyword+Search&NC58&Ntt=dormer
On Fri, 20 Nov 2015 15:02:07 +0000, no snipped-for-privacy@thanks.com wrote:

Dormer are mostly now made in Brazil, but still good quality. There are others making good drills. If it's got a brand name, that's a plus point!
Cromwell and MSC/J&L do index sets, but the prices are excessive unless you keep an eye out for discounts (excessive -40% becomes quite reasonable).
Depending on the size of the existing collection, is it worth getting a micrometer and a bit of aluminium or cast iron block and making your own dedicated drill index with the drills you have?
--
Mark Rand
RTFM

On 21/11/2015 00:30, Mark Rand wrote:

Usually not if that brand name is Silverline.
--
Rod

On Sun, 29 Nov 2015 22:19:01 +0000, polygonum wrote:

Or Rolson.
On 29/11/15 22:38, Bob Eager wrote:

or Toolzone or Amtech

Not sure about that. Yes, cheap and cheerful, and not for the pro or even perhaps keen/busy hobbyist, but for occasional use, absolutely fine.
--
Graeme

Have you looked for a decent drill stand?
I have three beside the pillar drill. One is metric 1mm- 10mm in 0.5 steps. One imperial 1-16th - 1/2". 29 in all. And a third with number drills from 1-60. I found them on Ebay - but a couple were used so had to look for a while.
For jobbing stuff in a hand drill I use the Lidl set which comes up from time to time - 1-10mm in 0.5mm steps. In a nice steel box. Bought a few of them.
But still have a tin of assorted odd ones. ;-)
--
*Verbs HAS to agree with their subjects *

My brother made one for me - a block of aluminium about an inch thick, two inches wide and as long as required. Just two rows of holes in size order. Makes life easy.

Don't we all? :-)
--
Graeme

Me too. They don't look very special but are surprisingly accurate. The
Ps - off topic - Glad to see from the headers that you are still using Riscos 4.39 with !Pluto and !Newshound, I've recently upgraded from my 20 year old RiscPC to an ARMX6 with riscos 5.23.
Best wishes Alan
--
snipped-for-privacy@argonet.co.uk
snipped-for-privacy@riscos.org

Yes. You'd not be surprised to see the box alone selling for that sort of price.

I had some bad experiences with RISC OS 5, so went back to 4. It really does everything I want of it.
But I do have a Viewfinder card with digital output which was perhaps the best upgrade ever after a Blitz.

--
*I used up all my sick days so I called in dead

On 20/11/2015 15:02, no snipped-for-privacy@thanks.com wrote:

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I probably will mic-up the old ones and make/buy a stand, but Santa bringing a new set of drill bits has more appeal than a few pairs of socks ;-) Any comments about coatings? Has anyone any experience of DeWalt Extreme 2 drill bits? The reviews seem good.