Steam engine treachery---it's 1690 AD again!

We're on to you, English schweinhunds ......

Or, for those blessed with Windows' ruin the URL feature:

It's a good read and may even force me to try and make a little engine.

mike

Reply to
m II

Some time ago I read an article which suggested that archaeologists have found the remains of ironworks at certain old religious ruins. The implication is that the monks were on the verge of creating iron and, particularly, steel in commercial quantities.

What stopped them was Henry VIII's Dissolution of the Monasteries to fund his wars and enrich his closest friends (and advisors) and the technology took another two centuries to surface.

So, is there an alternative world where the Spanish Armada was met by the British in steel warships, breech loading cannon and steam power using Leonardo's designs?

Indeed, does it mean that Leonardo wasn't that far ahead of his time if henry had not put a stumbling block in the way?

Robin

Reply to
rsss

It wouldn't have made it into warships. The monasteries would have kept it for religious needs, such as better chains to hold the choir boys still.

Reply to
Cliff Ray

Monasteries had the only known source of virgins blood which was necessary for the hardening and tempering of steel. This is why there has been a decline in the production of iron and steel in England in recent years, Geographically it can be proven as there are no steel works in Liverpool.

John S.

Reply to
John S

But of course this was male virgins blood, not the traditional female virgins blood and thus produced harder and more even tempered steel!

Reply to
Alan Dawes

Not much chance of finding a steelworks anywhere in the UK these days...

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

That goes a long ways towards explaining this absolutely filthy bit of musical exotica. Did I mention it's disgusting?

The music was borrowed from a little better known song. The 'Dursley' I wandered upon when I was looking up information on a Lister diesel engine.