super adept lathe

I thought denizens here might be interested in this small lathe:

Judging by the marvellous non-original toolpost, the owner was a pretty good engineer. It is therefore interesting that a pretty good engineer considered such a simple lathe worthy of all that effort.

I think the description as "refurbished" is an understatement.

BugBeasr

Reply to
bugbear

Hmmm...may be a good engineer but he can't count...that definitely looks like a 2-speed (not 3-speed) pulley set to me!

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Isn't the pedestal the '3-speed pulley' bit? Peter

-- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Rushden, UK snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Prepair Ltd

Its a countershaft. The big pulley takes the drive from the motor, and the double pulley gives the drive to the headstock (which also has a double pulley). So it is only 2 speed, not 3.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Unless you cross the belt over different pulleys and then it's 4 .................................

.
Reply to
John Stevenson

Of course if you do that on the motor side as well, you can get

6...........

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Looks as though it may have started life as a 3-speed flatbelt pulley, & smallest size was too small to be veed out?

Tim

Reply to
Tim Leech

It's big money for a Super Adept - getting well on towards a new chinese lathe by the time you have it motored up and got the thing installed. I've got one n a biscuit tin somewhere, at that money I'd better get it on flea-bay!

Steve

Reply to
Steve

No - was a 2-speed Vee as standard - at least, according to

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Yep - probably better value to buy a Seig C0.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

No a C0 is no good according to the C0 Yahoo group., flat earth chapter. These twonk's expect a Monarch 10EE for £100, they have no idea that history has pushed the cheapest, most basic lathe for the lowest price all thought time.

The fact that you are now getting a complete machine instead of a set of castings less motor and chucks for the same equivalent price floats over most of the bald heads

Reply to
John Stevenson

Pity the C0 doesn't do as good an impression of a clog iron that the Super Adept does - obviously losing marks in that area.

Reply to
Steve

Mine has a the original 2- speed V pulley.

Quite happy to swap it for a Sieg C0 BTW :-))

Steve

Reply to
Steve

I let (a nice) one by me at auction locally; went for fifty quid, and it included all parts, the 4 way chuck etc.

A mistake.

Add it to a HEAVY sewing machine table (I've seen non-singers with double flywheels...) and I'd have had an ideal, non electric lathe for my purposes - mainly small fabrications and repair on hand woodworking tools.

That's why I've got a search set up on eBay.

As you may have gathered, I like old, small, non electric stuff :-)

BugBear

Reply to
bugbear