withdrawl method, ain't got no rhythm

I went and had a look at a lathe today, with the view to replacing both my lathes with one. looked nice'n'heavy.. I didn't check the leadscrew but the crossslide was marked in metric, and no thrteading dial fitted. it had listing for mod, metric, imperial all from the box. 19tpi but no 26, i just no if i get it i am going to get asked to do loads of cycle bits..

anyway the question, what's the technique for threading leaving the half nuts engaged?

-- richard

Reply to
richard

richard wrote: || I went and had a look at a lathe today, with the view to replacing || both || my lathes with one. looked nice'n'heavy.. || I didn't check the leadscrew but the crossslide was marked in metric, || and no thrteading dial fitted. it had listing for mod, metric, || imperial || all from the box. 19tpi but no 26, i just no if i get it i am going || to get asked to do loads of cycle bits.. || || || || || anyway the question, what's the technique for threading leaving the || half nuts engaged? || || -- || richard

You will have to withdraw the tool in some way...... if you mean screw cutting without dis-engaging the leadscrew nut then......

when you reach the end of the thred you are cutting (works best iff cutting into an undercut but with care it can be done without) stop the machine, move the topslide one whole turn out..... away from the job (one whole turn so you remember where you are) then reverse the spindle so the tool goes to the start of the thread, and then move the crosslide back to its original possition plus the depth of cut you want to take.

I use this method all the time at work, cutting metric threads on imperial lathes and it works every time

HTH

Tim

Reply to
Tim Bird

There was a very good "retractable and swing-away" tool holder shown and described in one of the ME books - "Screwcutting in the Lathe" by Martin Cleeve, Argus Books - Workshop Practice Series No.3. There is a picture of it on the cover, and its descibed and illustrated in the text. It was designed specifically for screwcutting to counter the problem you describe!

I think that a construction sheet for a version of "was" available from ME.

The book contains several photographs of it, and a set of (small) workshop drawings of it on p.133

If its of any use, I could try and scan them for you.

Dave (UK)

Reply to
speedy

I will have to try it and see what it's like, once i have tried it i will have abetter idea of what it's like.

I quite like the idea of the thing you describe.

what are the ainjest threading things?

-- richard

Reply to
richard