Best Rated threads in ⚗ Polymers Forumshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Machining Delrin
I have a lot of small parts I'd like to make and I read that woodworking tools would work on Delrin. But since dimensional accuracy is important, I was wondering if I could use something like a Dremel...
12
12

Alq3 solvent
Does anyone know which solvents are able to dissolve Alq3 other than chloroform ? I'm looking for something that has a boiling point that is higher than chloroform so that i could get smoother films...

Plastic milk containers (HDPE #2), Heat, and Leaching
I think it's safe to assume that most or at least many milk containers are heated. In fact, I was told by someone who distributes milk that the way it works generally is that the bottles are formed...
9
9

Correlation vicat softening & Tg
Hello, Is anybody aware of a correlation between vicat softening point (ASTM D1525) and Tg for polyethylene (preferrable copolymer with vinylacetate)? Any literature or web references on this? Thanks,...
5
5

Help Please - Lubricant for Acrylic?
I would appreciate it if anyone could please share a recommendation for a lubricant for acrylic. I have an item where on piece of acrylic snaps into a channel cut into another piece of acrylic and...
6
6

Cast and Extruded Acrylic - What is difference?
I understand acrylic products are *commonly* made by three different methods. Cast, extruded and continuous with continuous being used for making sheets using the acrylic polymer made for extrusion....
7
7

Bonding / potting PVC + Polyethylene + Polypropylene
Hi All - I hope someone here can help with some advice or point me in the direction of a more suitable Usenet group. I'm looking for a potting compound to seal a cable where it enters into a machined...
1
1

Extruded vs. Cell cast Acrylic How to test for difference?
Is it possible to test for what type the PMMA is non destructively? Thanks, John Just guessing, but extruded may show orientation under crossed polars. Also, cast may contain crosslinking agents and...
6
6

elastomultiester - elastoester filament
hello, are both elastomultiester and elastoester same thing ? Are they spun from blend or are they bicomponent ? I hear it's Teijin technology . Thanks in advance for any information "Elastoester...
1
1

increase MFI of HDPE
Hallo, Does anyone knows how to increase the MFI of HDPE during extrusion (blownfilm)? thanks, steven You could increase your temperature settings or generate more shear by making your screw design...
10
10

Proper way to melt nylon
Fishing for information on do's and don'ts when melting nylon. What I need to do is liquify a relatively small amount to dip wood drumstick tips in to keep them from chipping. I figure weed eater line...
17
17

polymer soluble in hexane but insoluble in acetone
Hello, I am looking for a polymer that very easily dissolves in n-hexane but is completely insoluble in acetone. I read somewhere that LDPE should work, but my experiments with an ordinary...
8
8

Is the HARDENED epoxy toxic?
Hello! A short question only. Everyone says that epoxy is toxic and carcinogens, but when they state that, they think of NOT hardened epoxy. And what about the hardened epoxy? Is that toxic and...
3
3

Help for extrusion flow problem
Hello Im new into extrusion and need some help Om extruding pe with a self made extruder i have lots of hdpe and few ldpe my need is a soft flexible end product is there a way to make hdpe as soft and...

PVC solvents
Are there any good solvents for PVC? I would like to be able to dissolve it with the same ease as polystyrene in acetone. I am kinda interested in using it for casting. What would be the maximum...
1
1

Lanolubric
Can anyone please tell me the name of the manufacturer of Lanolubric which I believe is a defoamer and surfactant used in polymer manufacture. Thanks Yes I could. Took me 10 seconds to Google it up.
1
1

Dissolving HTPB.
Hello. I=B4m not very skilled in polymer chemistry and need some help. Me and our research group are trying to disslove HTPB - hydroxyl- terminated polybutadiene (cured with toluene-2,4-diisocyanate)....
8
8

who can offer me some information about CIBA's permanent antistatic additive IRGASTAT P18?
I want to find a kind of permanent antistatic addive to apply to polyolefin injection molding.I had got some basic information from CIBA website,but I need to know more application example of there...
1
1

What is Fischer-Porter Bottle?
Hi everyone, Do you know "Fischer-Porter Bottle" ? Can you help me please... Thanks... It's a pressurizable glass reactor. It seems like they were purchased by Lab-Crest. Aspen Research, - "Turning...
2
2

Possible to shrink expanded O-rings
Hi, I have four tiny but very expensive O-rings used for dust scraping around pistons in motorcycle brake calipers. Thay have expanded due to an oil leakage and I hope that it's possible to shrink...
3
3