RTOS's for autonomous robots?

Hey--

I'm wondering how you people that are doing sophisticated stuff are writing the software for your robots. I'm planning on writing a behavioral based robot program, with multiple types of sensors to integrate and multiple objectives. While I've written some fairly complicated programs w/o the use of an RTOS, the code management got difficult and the bug rate shot up.

Any comments on the following?

uExec uCos-II Salvo

What are the limitations of the free ones? I can't figure this out from the documentation. Also, I need very precise control of PWM to run my DC motors and servos. Is this possible with an RTOS?

TIA, Mark

PS I should add that my platform is the 68HC11E, specifically the Technological Art's Adapt11C24DX. In addition, I'm using RS-232 to interface to a Palm which will do floating point operations, store larger amounts of data, and (eventually) operate a WiFi card.

Reply to
Mark Haase

You don't need an RTOS for behavioral programming.

Frankly I'd do the behavioral programming on one processor, probably Palm, and do the mechanical stuff (PWM, reading the sensors) with your microcontroller.

I do this on a bigger scale: I have a Mini-ITX board running Linux which talks to an I/O coprocessor board which handles the real-time stuff.

I'm using Java for the programming of the main computer.

-- D. Jay Newman

Reply to
D. Jay Newman

Hi,

I am planning to do the same. Which IO board are you using ?

Regards.

Thierry

Reply to
Thierry Charlier de Chily

A bit of everything.

Currently I am using a JStik with a custom I/O board that I built.

However, I'm going to be using Phidgets

a ROBIN network
network.

I'm planning on using a uVM chip