seeking help with drumbot (robotic drummer)

Has anyone built one?

My first challenge is finding the solenoids. I know what one is, but the article in MAKE wasn't clear about where to get these or what exactly type to buy (the only place I know around here that carries them is Home Depot for sprinkler valves and they're expensive). I haven't found much info online.

In general I would be interested in hearing about anyone's drumbot projects & experiences... (or any kind of projects involving mechanical/computer control of non-electronic instruments)

Thanks

Reply to
Mad Scientist Jr

Mad Scientist Jr wrote: ...

Don't know about drumbots, but Alistair Riddell at anu's sound art & physical computing might have some pointers. He build at least 3 solenoid-controlled pianos over the years.

Reply to
kym

You might try looking for places that sell parts for pinball machines. One machine uses a few of them and they are a fairly high failure item. They used to be inexpensive, but that was a long time ago.

Good Luck, BobH

Reply to
BobH

John Mianowski

--FWIW I've messed with solenoid valves for a Stamp calliope; one would imagine bare solenoids are cheaper at least. If you need a dozen or so ebay is your friend: got my valves for 1/4 retail price.

Reply to
steamer

I haven't made one, but Here are few choice sources. A lot depends on how much force you need. Some of these won't have any specs. However, the general energy formulas apply. Energy in = energy out. Also, be concerned about how much current they draw when actuated for more than a brief time. They act like a short, with a low value resistance.

starting at $1.50.

American Science and Surplus has them at $2.75

at $1.

and finally here is

at $2.95

Can you tell that I am unemployed and looking for things to do! If anyone is looking for a CAD expert with machine design experience, please contact me. I am in the Eastern PA area, but will also consider moving to central & eastern GA, or central& south FL.

Joe Dunfee cadcoke 5 (at) yahoo.com

and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup

- comp.robotics.misc - 13740 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
cadcoke5

I wonder if the aftermarket electrically-operated trunk releases might not be a really good source for solenoids....

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer