single PM DC motor?

I took apart a DC motor of questionable quality and I noticed that it uses only one permanent magnet. Basically a round cylinder covering the whole circumference of the steel can that it sits in. How can this work? I thought you'll need two permanents, one with the polarity N and another S to produce a consistent magnetic field. Can anybody tell me if these motors were designed badly or maybe somebody can educate me on how it can work. Thank you.

Reply to
aircorr

The magnet might be polarized across its diameter. Get a bar magnet and find where the poles are. You might see that it's acting exactly as you'd expect is necessary.

- Owen -

Reply to
Owen Lawrence

Hello? All magnets have two poles.

If you found a magnet which was a magnetic monopole, that would be a major breakthrough in physics.

John Nagle

Reply to
John Nagle