Stair Climbing Robots

Climbing staircase is not an easy operation for most of the mobile robotic platforms. If you have a stair climbing robot (either build and tested or
still on paper or one you found on the net) would you share your experience with all other comp.robotics.misc addicts. Here is a couple of links for stair climbing mobile (robots) platforms ; http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~cjtaylor/projects/Urbie/Urbie.html http://www.dimi.uniud.it/~antonio/contrib/iros03-1010.pdf http://www.stairclimber.co.uk/stair-climbing-hand-trucks.html
<Marshell Piente> wrote in message

This last is kind of interesting. Idea might be adaptable to small wheeled robots.
- dan michaels www.oricomtech.com =====================
dan michaels wrote:

But I think he first link is the most useful for an indoor robot. It shares a design of a secondary outrigger track that iRobot has used on field-tested battlefield robots. Not sure who originally came up with the design, but I'm starting to see it more and more. Here's the link again:
http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~cjtaylor/projects/Urbie/Urbie.html
-- Gordon Author: Robot Builder's Bonanza Budget Robotics: http://www.budgetrobotics.com

I've seen the Urbie before and it's a really neat design. There were some videos of it on TV. It can climb stairs by virtual of it's being long enuf, 24" or so [??], that the tracks will bridge across 2-3 steps, plus a little more when the flippers are down. I had originally thought the flippers might be used to push into the step zones for added traction, but they seem to use them sticking out straight ahead, in order to lengthen the track-base. The videos did show the Urbie sliding around sideways a bit on the steps. However, all in all, a nice design.
- dan michaels www.oricomtech.com =======================