God bless Ronald Reagan

All of us Cold Warriors sure do. I was USAF AWS, but spent my time mostly on SAC and NORAD bases. I was keenly aware, as were my buddies, how close to
atomic death we really were.
--
R. J. Talley
Teacher/James Madison Fellow

Talk about a thankless but in hindsight, a historically significant job!
Historian, are ya?
Jerry

Ask anybody who actually handled a nuke.
(Genie AIR-2A on an F-106)
We lived and died by DEFCON levels.
If the average American knew just HOW many times our airspace was threatened by nuke-capable bombers, they would have crapped in their pants.
For ADCOM, it was all in a day's work.
Bill Sullivan

My dad was in the Air Force in France during the Berlin Crisis (1962) and he told me they flew sorties almost daily DEEP into Russia. Usually in response to them flying a group of bombers towards the U.S. It was a game of Air Force chicken.
Randy

he
response
DEEP into Russia from France? What was he flying?

It was toward the end of his career and by that time he wasn't flying anything. He was mainly in charge of the flight line at Chaumont Air Force Base. It's my understanding they had F-80's & F86's, B-47's, B-52's and I'm not sure what else. There were also other bases, in other countries that the U.S. flew all kinds of aircraft from, into Russia. The U.S. didn't fly from just one base or country and it wasn't just Air Force. The Navy flew them too.
Randy

I would have guessed the Hustler, but I'm not aware of any nuclear armed US aircraft penetrating deep into Russia.
Alan

I would have listed the B-58 but I'm not totally sure they were statoned there and my dad isn't here now to ask. The Hustler was stationed on the west coast to pose a quick response threat to a Soviet attack.
Randy

None taken but I remember when and why well, just not quite sure about the air craft or number of other units involved.

I believe that's totally accurate.

Correct again, one such unit was the 117th ANG recon wing from right here in Birmingham. The 117th is now arefueling wing using KC-135's. There were several other units there as well but I do not remember which ones or what they flew, except it was bombers. My dad and 1 uncle completed their commitments to the regular Air Force during the Berlin Crisis at that base. They were quite proud that they could scramble all of their planes, whatever they were and have them in the air in less than 3 minutes. Something like over 100. Don't know how many runways they used to do that but it would have to be impressive, even today.
>It seems unlikely that the US would risk

I would tend to agree with that logic now but what about back then? Could have been simply conventional bombers or perhaps the French weren't aware of the weapons being used? Now that you mention it, I wonder what the U.S. allowed at that time, of other nations to inspect on U.S. base, their country or not. Since I don't remember him saying a specific mileage, I do not know the real distance they penetrated, only that they did indeed go into Russia. Deep into Russia was his term.
Randy
On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 16:17:20 +0000 (UTC), "The Rocket Scientist"

I'm still trying to figure out how to equate the Homeland Security color threat levels to the more meaningful DEFCON levels.
Alan

I can't see the color threat levels without wondering if Rumsfield's latest clone has advanced beyond infrared clearance.
- Rick "Happiness is mandatory" Dickinson
--
The National Security Agency is hiring computer scientists and
mathematicians for ongoing projects in communications research.
Rick Dickinson wrote:

I think it was a little confusing to call the system of highway signs announcing missing children "Amber Alerts"...
-dave w
<snip> I think it was a little confusing to call the system of highway signs announcing missing children "Amber Alerts"... </snip>
Lifted from CodeAmber.Org
The AMBER Plan was created in 1996 as a powerful legacy to 9-year-old Amber Hagerman, a bright little girl who was kidnapped and brutally murdered while riding her bicycle in Arlington, Texas. The tragedy shocked and outraged the entire community. Residents contacted radio stations in the Dallas area and suggested they broadcast special "alerts" over the airwaves so that they could help prevent such incidents in the future.
It was named after a missing girl named "Amber", in CA, IIRC.. It existed before 9/11.
In AZ, we also have "Megan's law", named after a early teen girl that was hit (and killed) by a stray bullet that someone fired into the air and killed her in her own back yard. Good thing her name wasn't "Rose", or it would really confuse folks like you!
Dave, I know you're clueless as you stand up for Skippy.. But now I know how clueless you really are.. It's sad...

I'm just glad they never passed any laws as a result of the attack on the USS Cole.
- Rick "Thinly sliced cabbage" Dickinson
--
"I just purchased a shiny new Leatherman Wave.[...] It's likely
that random objects in the house will spend the next few days

Rick Dickinson wrote:

I can't comment on Megan's law; I don't know the details. But the Amber alert system is simply the utilization of technology readily at our disposal. If a kidnapping crime is reported, it is immediately broadcast over the radio (et al) much like weather warnings.
We've had instances here in Texas where folks were able to spot the perp's car and call it in on their cell phones. I think it's an awesome system.
(BTW, Woody, to clear things up, it originated in Texas.)
DOug
Ya.. I did look it up after I posted. It's Texas.. There's expanding Amber Alerts here so that individuals can get email/cell phone calls. From what I hear on the news, it's somehow related to the location it occurred, and where cell phone users are (based on what "cell" you're in). That way they can contact cell phone folks (that sign up) right in the area first and expand outward as time goes by

In CA we have large freeway signs that are message boards (see movie "L.A. Story"). They post the Amber Alerts there and have recovered many kids when other motorists spotted the suspect auto.
-Fred Shecter NAR 20117 http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=shreadvector
"AZ Woody" < snipped-for-privacy@here.not.email> wrote in message
Alan Jones wrote:

Not to mention the fact that the HS threat levels sound just like the pollution alert levels :)
Doug