Mostly OT Memorial Day rant

I've just spent 15 nitpicking minutes following the instructions to attach the new registration sticker to my license plate. Supposedly, you must now remove the old sticker to apply the new one; Since the adhesive is herculean and the sticker frangible, this is impossible without damaging the license plate itself.

How does this relate to Memorial Day? Freedom. Every single motorist is put through this hassle on the off-chance a few miscreants will steal/remove/reuse a sticker.

I want the populace to rise up anew to save us from safety, the same way we were saved from tyranny in WWII. Please allow me to experience the danger of unseatbelted driving, mowers without deadman switches, and 65 gram rocket motors!

We're drowning in cotton wool!

-- Scott Schuckert

Reply to
Scott Schuckert

snip

Can we add seatbelts to the list? ; )

Randy

Reply to
Randy

That will teach you for reading the directions!!

Just peel it & smack it >I've just spent 15 nitpicking minutes following the instructions to

Reply to
Phil Stein

No need to. It was there in his original list, which you snipped.

- Rick "Careful Reader" Dickinson

Reply to
Rick Dickinson

The deadman switch on my lawnmower doesn't bother me one bit. You can do wonderful things with wire.

Reply to
Christopher Deem

Or velcro.

tah

Reply to
hiltyt

Maybe not. Ever tried to get permission from the Vulcan High Council? ; )

Randy

Reply to
Randy

Reply to
Chad L. Ellis

To continue the off-topic nature of the post, I heard yesterday about a woman who was being held after an accident in which her daughter was ejected from the car and killed. Apparently the woman turned around to talk to the daughter and when she turned back, she veered off onto the shoulder and hit a parked 18-wheeler. It didn't specifically say it, but the report inferred that the daughter wasn't buckled in.

However, nobody is pointing out that the 'law' now states that young children must ride in the back seat. Why? Because the mandated air bags in the front seat were found to kill children under 6. So, now that THE LAW states that you must put kids in the back seat, who among you (at least those who are parents) think it's a good idea to put the kids in the back seat where you are FORCED to turn your head in order to deal with them???

David Erbas-White

Reply to
David Erbas-White

If your arm is long enough, you don't have to turn around to 'communicate'

Reply to
Phil Stein

I've never removed it, never will, steal it, I don't care. Cuz if they don't peal it off they cut it off. So why put yourself through the strain?

Make a T-shirt with a piece of a belt to make it *look* like you're wearing one.

Clamps, spring clamps to be exact.

should be 65 pounds, but I wasn't real good in math

Better than mineral wool, we'd be scratching our privates apart.

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

And a cup of water goes a lot further than an arm's length.

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

duct tape

Reply to
Reece Talley

Reply to
David Weinshenker

Pennsylvania. Further, the new plates have a single area in the left corner, whereas the old ones had one in each corner - to display the current and previous years stickers. In addition, the new plates aren't actually painted - they appear to be covered with a bonded plastic film which is quite soft.

True, but misses the point. For many years, the stickers were scored or fell apart easily. But the instructions (and I'm kind of a follow-the-rules guy, at least for the first try) previously said to apply it over the old sticker.

While we're at it, how about unwrapping new DVD movies? A layer of shrinkwrap, three individual pieces of security tape, AND a magnetic strip. Takes 10 minutes to open without marring the case. What are they afraid of? I doubt anyone is going to the trouble of buying one, watching or copying it and returning it - to save a $3 (rental) fee.

But this was intended to be a nannystate thread. Pennsylvania recently repealed their motorcycle helmet law, so progress CAN be make - start lobbying your congresscritters NOW about killing the patriot Act in it's entirety!

Reply to
Scott Schuckert

I'll remember that if I ever get a van or an SUV. If I stuff them in the back of the sports car, I can elbow them from the front seat.

Reply to
Phil Stein

I'm in PA. If I had read the instructions, I would still peel it & smack it on over the other ones. So far, I haven't had any fall off.

Reply to
Phil Stein

Well, ya know, these days kids, even the bigger ones, must be containerized in in expensive glorified pet cages secured as far aft in the vehicle as possible with specialized bolts and fittings. Unless of course the vehicle is a school buss, then anything goes.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Jones

ROTFLMAO!!!

That reminded me, back in junior high school (what is today called 'middle school'), one day our bus driver got a little upset with the rowdiness of the kids on the bus. So, he stopped, pulled over, got everybody quiet, then explained that he was going to do a simple demonstration. He wanted everybody to sit down, and he was then going to accelerate to 2-3MPH (a slow walk), and then 'dump' the brakes.

Well, he did so, and it's amazing that nobody was killed (). Everybody was thrown out of their seats, banged into seats in front of them, etc. Needless to say, he NEVER had a problem with that route again...

I should add that before he did this, he had all the kids promise that they wouldn't 'rat' on him, because he could lose his job from the demonstration...

David Erbas-White

Reply to
David Erbas-White

Knock, knock. It's not a question of them falling off, but a question of people stealing them.

Reply to
AAAlias