[OT] All home owners to pay for disasters in future fund.

On 28 Nov 2005 18:09:22 -0800, " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

Then there's this:
http://users.adelphia.net/~hiltyt/v8chainsaw.avi
<vbg>
tah
--
Tod A. Hilty
Hilty Information Systems
snipped-for-privacy@weinerboy.org wrote:

heheheh, now thats what I call horsepower!
Years ago when I was doing tuning at Kenny's sports the boss said he needed me to make a set of my custom 'Novak 2000' pipes for a kwacker 440 twin. I'm thinking, 'ok, boss needs some speed for his pos sled'. Nope, boss's brother needed it for Paul Bunyan days up 'dere in da north' for his custom saw! Hell, I thought two cylinders would be more than enough to win. But apparently not so as he lost to a guy with kwacker triple 750!
No replacement for displacement :)
Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75
On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 21:37:09 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@weinerboy.org wrote:

I cut what ever I can get. Oak is my favorite, but I can't get enough of it. Hickory is probably the best firewood, but is very scarce here, and bugs seem to eat it like candy. Elm is OK to burn, but it is tough and stringy to split, and it seems to shrink more when it dries. I like Ash, and I got a lot of it this year. It is not very dense, but it is much better than Maple, and it splits easily. I'd like to get two more pickup truck loads, but that looks doubtful.
Alan

IMHO, splitting Elm, especially freshly cut Elm, is like trying to split an extremely wet, stringy sponge...
<g>
My stove has trouble with Oak. In order to burn it cleanly, I have to give it lots of air, and run it at a fairly high temperature. With a pure Oak fire running at full tilt, I'd have the first floor up to 80 degrees in no time[1]. I have pretty good luck with mixing maybe a couple of pieces of Maple to one big chunk of Oak.
tah
[1] Although, it's weird when you heat with wood, and become accustomed to those higher temps in January. 68 degrees feels frigid! <g>
--
Tod A. Hilty
Hilty Information Systems

Any and all. Take paypal?
Shipping can't be THAT much, can it? ;-)
--
Tweak

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 09:12:34 -0500, Tweak

Well, since I'm working for a local flatbed carrier, I can probably get you a deal. Can you take, um, 42,000 lbs or so?
<g>
tah
--
Tod A. Hilty
Hilty Information Systems
writes:

So, why would you need to hire an Escort?
:-)
John
On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 16:21:49 -0600, "John Stein"
<big whack>

LOL! Yeah, my "old man car" gets darn near 40mpg on the highway, and can carry way more rocket junk than my Geo Tracker. Not a speck of rust on 'er, and she runs like a top! Not too bad for a '95.
The Tracker, however, is a must for getting to launches in exceptionally muddy corn fields. Just getting out after the launch is almost as much fun as the launch *itself*!
<g>
But, then I have to wash all the mud out of the wheel wells when I get home...
tah
--
Tod A. Hilty
Hilty Information Systems

Been there, too. We have a '93 Escort with 178,000 miles, new A/C system, 1.9 liter engine with the four-speed overdrive transmission. We consistently get 42 mpg highway (in the winter) and 36 mpg running the A/C. A bit noisier than usual since my son removed all the trunk sound absorbent material....just because his friends told him they couldn't hear his stereo...and after all, he paid good money for those speakers. Kids. With the back seat down we can load all my rockets, gliders, motors and launch stuff and still have room for the 12 volt car battery (spare for the club launch stuff) and a cooler to keep Cokes, water and sandwiches cold. After a long day it's a pain to unload all that stuff.
John
On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 16:57:20 -0600, "John Stein"

Yeah, but wow, I'll bet ya can really wind up System of A Down in that thing!
<g>
Tod "Still they feed us lies from the tablecloth!" Hilty
--
Tod A. Hilty
Hilty Information Systems
On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 20:45:25 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@weinerboy.org wrote:

Are you insane? Wasting rocket propellant on a snowblower...
Alan Jones wrote:

It's ok if He's using the snowblower to clear a launch site.
On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 20:45:25 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@weinerboy.org wrote:

I could say some things about insurance, risk, fairness, etc... But I'll just address one small part of this OT discussion. (And I'd rather discuss wood burning, and firewood management...or even rockets!)
First, when disaster strikes, people should look first to their own preparedness and resources, then to family and friends, and even church. What ever happened to separation of church and state? (Ya it's a stretch in this context.) I don't like the state usurping the churches role of helping people in need. (Not that today's churches could even meet that need.)
However, there are some situations where I think the state should compensate victims and/or help pay to rebuild infrastructure. One case would be an unprecedented natural disaster, like Mount St. Helens erupting... Another could be negligence of the government. For example the Fed. gov. is tasked with providing a common defense, and yet an act of war brought down the Trade Towers. The US could only muster four armed fighters, which were not effective. I would have thought that the US should have had at least 16 armed fighters ready to defend coastal areas of the US against attack.
I believe the government did a good job warning people living in category 3 protected zone about an impending category 5 hurricane. I think the government (mostly local) was negligent in not providing adequate transportation after ordering an evacuation. Furthermore, when the state orders a forced evacuation, they should bear some, if not most, of the costs of interim survival. In that case, the state should also bear some of the burden of loss or damage because the home owner is not allowed to be there to protect property and minimize further damage. If the state subsequently, changes policies that decrease property values, The victims of that policy change should be compensated.
I'm not defending any of the actions of FEMA. However, some arguments can be made for government assistance to disasters.

Welcome to The Great Society and the 3rd generation that thinks the government owes them somethimg, all the while not realizing, WE ARE the govt. but many of these people don't pay taxes to start with. The mentality has been delevoped from 35+ years of "cradle to the grave" "vote for us" I'll take care of all your needs nanny state politics. A totally absurd perception of life and what's due them.
Why should my rates go up because someone else is too stupid to build or live above the flood plain?
I hate what happened to all of the people along the coast, my heart goes out to them all, but it's their choice to live there. It's their risk to take and be blest by, or suffer the results of, their own choices. Same as I do every day.
We have helped them and will continue to do so, but these people need to learn from their mistakes and they also need to stand on their own 2 feet.
Randy www.vernarockets.com

Point!
Give that man a chicken!
We have the headwaters of the Cuyahoga River running through town, and many people live directly next to the river in "summer cottages" that have been converted to homes. A couple of years ago, we had some massive spring rains which caused the river to flood like it hasn't in many years. The "big city TV stations" caught wind of this, and of course were "on the scene" with the residents. When asked by one stupidly over-emotional reporter, "Gosh! What a mess! What *are* you going to do?!", the resident flatly replied, "Well, we knew this would happen because we live right next to the river, and we've got sump pumps and gas powered pumps, and we made it a point not to store anything important in the basement. We'll get by on our own just fine."
And ya know what? They did. Without FEMA, without screaming about how "aid wasn't moving fast enough for THEM", without bitching about how they weren't getting enough money.
<g>
I kid you not...
My kind of people...
Me? I live in a house that's right next to the highest point in town. Now, lets talk about high winds...
<vbg>
tah
--
Tod A. Hilty
Hilty Information Systems
Bob Kaplow wrote:

Hmmm. The midwest is prone to floods and tornadoes, the northeast has blizzards, the east coast and south have hurricanes. That pretty much eliminates everything east of the Rockies. On this side we have earthquakes, wildfires, mudslides, even volcanoes.
So that leaves what? About 10% of the country, maybe, that would be eligible for disaster relief? Why not just come right out and say you favor eliminating all disaster relief?

Is this "fund" like the social security "fund", where the money goes to the Treasury to be spent by congresscritters 'buying' votes with special projects for their district? Or is this a real fund?
So, what constitudes a "disaster"? Is this where people who don't build on a flood plain pay for rebuilding homes of those who do?
If I have an ice dam will the insuance pay for the repairs to fix my roof / attic so that doesn't occur anymore?
What about if my roof is 12 years old and not in very good shape, and a strong wind comes through and causes a little dammage (but not huge), will the insurance pay the full price of it's replacement?
The latter reason is why your insurance and mine - especially mine - are high. Both are claims made by the townhouse association where I live (what a mistake).
Glen