[OT] (b)(7)(c)?

While reading a bunch of FOIA paperwork, I'm constantly running across this notation in conjunction with "blacked out" portions of a document..

(b)(7)(c)

What is that?

tah

Reply to
hiltyt

Thanks Ray, and that's what I suspect too. Didn't know Tesla was so interesting to the Feds back in '43...

tah

Reply to
hiltyt

You could just google for it. A search on "foia b 7 c" turns up a reference to 5 USC 552(b)(7)(c).

Condensed version:

(b)

This section does not apply to matters that are -

(7)

records or information compiled for law enforcement purposes, but only to the extent that the production of such law enforcement records or information

(C)

could reasonably be expected to constitute an unwarranted invasion of personal privacy,

Although 5 USC 552 doesn't have a title, it appears to be the "Freedom of Information Act". section b describes things that are exempt. Read it all here:

snipped-for-privacy@weinerboy.org wrote: > While reading a bunch of FOIA paperwork, I'm constantly running across > this notation in conjunction with "blacked out" portions of a > document.. >

Reply to
David Schultz

Oh yeah! They went in right after he died and snatched up EVERYTHING he had.

And that code, loosely translated, means "national security." The federal gov't is very reluctant to declassify anything. Some of Goddard's work is still classified as is much of Tesla's as you found out. Heck, somewhere there's probably a classified document describing the design and use of a major advance in military technology called a "horseshoe." ;-)

+McG+
Reply to
Kenneth C. McGoffin

... or a horses a$$!

Bob Kaplow

I thought that with the passing of the PATRIOT (sic) act, no one had a right to privacy any more. Our government sure seems to be acting that way.

Bob Kaplow