OT: (...but in a similar vein)

Hi to all- Listen, like many have said, the last thing we need to do is 'feed the trolls'. Yeah, I know, I'm guilty too. But there could be an agenda some of these guys are up to...spam is up by about 200% in the mail account I list here. Just since about three weeks ago, when these clowns made there arrival. Call it my own conspiracy theory, if you will, but I believe when we respond, our e-mail addies are being collected and used.

Bob(just a hunch)352

Reply to
bob352

I don't think it has anything to do with this particular thread: when you post to USENET, regardless of group, folks using various skimming tools collect your email address and SPAM you. That's why so many folks MUNG their email addresses when posting. Even that doesn't eliminate the problem.

Just as bad, I've recently posted my resume to the usual job sites. Folks skim those resumes, then send you various crap. When my resume clearly identifies myself as a person in a very small niche of the IT marketspace, and the "job offer" is for selling insurance, telemarketing, or MLM, it's SPAM.

I've sent all my spam to spamcop.net for many years now. And this system uses DNSRBLs generated by services like spamcop to block junk from known spam sources. Of course that also means it blocks email from common spam sites like yahoo et al on a regular basis.

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

Bob, Does that mean SPAMCOP can cause you issues with receiving email from legitimate yahoo users ?

Reply to
Cranny Dane

I'd think possibly. Lots of the spam filters out there are mildly retarded. I mean, if one of your buddies has a yahoo address like " snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com", yeah, it'll probably get popped...

tah

Reply to
hiltyt

One could say that there are no legitimate yahoo users :-)

But yes, I've had mail from yahoo bounced recently by eisner because that address was blacklisted by various spam reporting services:

Remote host said: 550 5.7.1 Blocked - see

Bob Kaplow

They all have their flaws. I run spamassassin on my server, and some legit emails get blocked. It also blocks a TON of spam daily...the percent of false positives is well below 1%. For personal use I can live with that.

Reply to
Tweak

Postini totally rules. Expensive but my isp gives it to me for free.

Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75

Reply to
the notorious t-e-d

Hey! My Parents were married!

To each other!

At the same time!

And they were different genders!

You're just mad because you can't get a rocketmail addy! :-)

Bill Sullivan

Reply to
The Rocket Scientist