OT: CD burner problem

I've been having trouble with my CD burner, and have been unable to get any help elsewhere, so I figured I'd post something here and see if anyone has a suggestion.

It's a LaCie 4x8x external CD-R burner. It was working the last time I used it, about a year and half ago. Now I need to use it again, and I can't get it to burn a CD. I get a series of error messages when I try to make a CD. I'm using Toast 3.5 on a 266mhz G3 running OS 8.6, and haven't changed or added anything to that computer since the last time I used the CD burner.

I've tried three different brands of CD blanks, I've sprayed "canned air" through it in case there was dust or something, and even tried using one of those CD player cleaning disks. Still no luck. What the heck could cause a CD burner to stop working properly just from sitting on the table unused??

Reply to
RayDunakin

I had a similar problemn and here is the message I received:

Jerry

Does rmr address every aspect of life or what?

On MacOS 9.2 Apple added the iTunes and Disk Burner extensions to the base extension set of the operating system and are conflicting with the Toast extensions. For toast to work you would need to disable the iTunes and Disk Burner extensions, or set up Toast on a separate extension set with these extensions disabled. The extensions involved are: Authoring Support, Disc Burner Extension, Firewire Authoring Support, iTunes Extension, SDAP Authoring Support, and USB Authoring Support. On some systems you may also need to disable the toast usb extension, and the ipod extension for toast to find a firewire drive.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Ray,

I'm using a LACIE CD burner also, but it's Toast 5.02. Maybe try reinstalling the software and rebuilding the desktop. (First, Uninstall)

My brand new HP Scanner/Printer/Copier worked o.k. for a month, and then it would not scan, same thing, error messages. I just reloaded the software and it came back to life. Hopefully just a glitch :)

Robert

in article snipped-for-privacy@mb-m04.aol.com, RayDunakin at snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote on 7/22/03 8:13 PM:

Reply to
Robert

One more thing I forgot to mention. I grabbed the top CD out of the spool and loaded it too, it told me to get a real disc. I did not notice that it was just a protective disc, should have noticed it was clear!!!

in article BB434E29.207D4% snipped-for-privacy@aerotech-rocketry.com, Robert at snipped-for-privacy@aerotech-rocketry.com wrote on 7/22/03 8:25 PM:

Reply to
Robert

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Reply to
RayDunakin

Assuming you're still on 8.6 and not 9.x, the iTunes and disk burner issues don't arise. Assuming it's not "jest broke" it's likely an extension conflict. Go to Extensions Manager and select one of the default extension sets, as in "Mac Os 8.6 Base" Duplicate it, and name the set something like test.

Then reinstall your Toast software; this will replace the Toast extensions. Give it a try.

It's also a slight possibility that the System file itself has been damaged in a way that prevents the extensions from loading or operating properly. If you're feeling ambitious and have the time, you could try doing a "clean install" of 8.6, then following the above. (The clean install preserves your existing System Folder).

Hardware Issues: Is the drive USB, SCSI or Firewire, and is the G3 266 a Beige or an original iMac? it seems unlikely the drive is Firwwire, but I recently had a drive die after years of operation - the FW bridge board went. Uh, have you tried a different cable?

-- Scott Schuckert

Reply to
Scott Schuckert

I find it humorous that no one has asked what the "series of error messages" say.

Phil Stein

Phil Stein

Reply to
Phil Stein

Those things make *awsome* fins for modroc sized rockets. I built an Estes Thunderhawk clone using fins carved from "seperator CD's" with a hot-knife. TTWTTMM style mounting, and you end up with nearly indestructable fins.

Dunno how many times I've bounced the model off an asphalt parking lot... It's only injuries have been paint scratches.

Oh yeah, if you want to paint the material, it needs to be scuffed up

*real* well, or the paint won't hold.

FWIW...

tah

Reply to
hiltyt

Probably something useful like "Error 14 - Scan not scan!"

My Acer scanner generates this occasionally under win2000 when it coughs up.

Gosh, I wonder where *that* code was written?

tah

Reply to
hiltyt

Been seeing the crap about all the programming jobs being farmed out to India.

I tried to use Indian programmers twice. They were here in my office not even on another continent. I'll just say that when I play ball you get 2 strikes & you're out.

Phil Ste>>

Phil Stein

Reply to
Phil Stein

A client I work for has buttloads of them available when they produce a software upgrade. They seem to be placed about every ten or so in the stack.

Is Lexan some sort of polycarbonate plastic? I know that at least with the seperator CD's I get (Memorex?) I can darn near bend the things in half without them even thinking of cracking.

tah

Reply to
hiltyt