OT Chessnuts

OK as far as I know the word Chessnut is spelled just like that. I have seen streets , products in the store, even a town in Pa all spelled CHESTNUT. Now I've always supposed these referred to Breast Fanatics.

Any Ideas?

TIA Mike Siedle TRA L2

Reply to
Mike Siedle

My spell checker says "chestnut".

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

My preferences say "leg-man". But for the spelling in the title, unlike Bobby Fisher, I preferred the English Opening when playing white.

Chuck

Reply to
Zathras of the Great Machine

And then there's moorhead....

Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75

Reply to
the notorious t-e-d

There is no word "chessnut". If you're referring to an aficionado of the game of chess it would be "chess nut".

Reply to
Steven P. McNicoll

So does my tree & my street.

Reply to
Phil Stein

From the Merriam-Webster dictionary:

Main Entry: [1]chest·nut Pronunciation: 'ches(t)-(")n&t Function: noun Etymology: Middle English chasteine, chesten chestnut tree, from Middle French chastaigne, from Latin castanea, from Greek kastanea Date: 14th century

1 a : any of a genus (Castanea) of trees or shrubs of the beech family; especially : an American tree (C. dentata) that was formerly a dominant or codominant member of many deciduous forests of the eastern U.S. but has now been largely eliminated by the chestnut blight and seldom grows beyond the shrub or sapling stage b : the edible nut of a chestnut c : the wood of a chestnut 2 : a grayish to reddish brown 3 : HORSE CHESTNUT 4 : a chestnut-colored animal; specifically : a horse having a body color of any shade of pure or reddish brown with mane, tail, and points of the same or a lighter shade ? compare [2]BAY 1, SORREL 1 5 : a callosity on the inner side of the leg of the horse; see HORSE illustration 6 a : an old joke or story b : something (as a musical piece or a saying) repeated to the point of staleness

A "chessnut" would be someone obsessed with a certain board game. :)

Reply to
RayDunakin

Thank You Ray

MS

CHESTNUT

Reply to
Mike Siedle

I thought it would be "geek." And yes, I was one.

Reply to
Bill & Michelle

you eat chestnuts, a person who loves Chess is a Chessnut

by the way, 2 nuts on your chest are called a ...er...blo....

Reply to
Lew Garrow

While a chess nut may be a geek, a geek is not necessarily a chess nut.

Reply to
Steven P. McNicoll

news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m21.aol.com...

especially : an American tree (C. dentata) that was formerly a dominant or

The stair case in my home is American Chestnut......imagine the cost of replacing it.....Where's that number for Lloyd's of London? I've planted a Chinese/sort of American Chestnut hybrid in the backyard, if it doesn't last 10 years the blight will own the hybrid too. Since few folks know if it maybe it will prosper.

American Chestnut was such an incredible wood for American homes in the pre-McMansion times. It had the longevity of oak but the workability of pine. It was a true natural crossover hybrid wood. It's sad to see the blight cause such devastation.

For once a natural devastation and not caused by us knuckleheads. ;-)

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

I don't even want to know how you know what that feels like on your chest.;-)

Musta been when you were laying under the car working on it. We can all hope. RDH8

Reply to
RDH8