OT: Contact With Mars Rover "Spirit" Interrupted - "Very Serious Anomaly"

I was trying for GOOD failure modes.

By the way, have you ever had 3 years of art work deleted or otherwise lost?

Zooty

Reply to
zoot

I should have known better. I forgot this was rmr...

David Erbas-White

Reply to
David Erbas-White

; )

Randy

Reply to
Randy

---------

Latest word is that the little guy said "I'm here" and is in a safe mode. They are going take their sweet time to come up with the following solution...

CTRL-ALT-DEL.

HDS

Reply to
HDS

snip of a lot of good data

How many times did they wish there was a human there to repair it?

Bob

Reply to
baDBob

It may be on strike, but it's barganing position will be weakened in a couple days...

Alan

Reply to
Alan Jones

Go ahead and laugh, but it already reboots (on purpose) once per day. Specifically BECAUSE of possible problems that might crop up, and to let it start 'fresh' even if uncommanded.

David Erbas-White

Reply to
David Erbas-White

ROTFLMAO!

David Erbas-White

Reply to
David Erbas-White

I heard martians are gonna sell it on eBay

Reply to
tater schuld

True. Very true. but pigs are ok when they are polite considerate pigs and give me a nice to look at interface.

I will take a pig gui over a lean mean cmd anytime anyplace.

Chris Taylor

Chris Taylor Jr

years of hard work lost, yes. but not art. some idiot ... i can never forgive him..

Reply to
j kangaroo

issues,don't you know...(;-)

It's a joke, get past it. Although, I guess there is some merit to the content.

Fred

Reply to
WallaceF

That would be it. Thanks.

Reply to
Kurt Kesler

David got it. ; )

Randy

Reply to
Randy

Fred's a Martian!?!? That would explain where he gets all the rockets to sell.

Randy

Reply to
Randy

And what, exactly, would a Mars Rover do with a GUI?

While GUIs have definitely improved everybodys life for handling tasks that are inherently visual-centric, as an engineer and part-time scientist, I do *lots* of things where a GUI would just get in the way.

I *very* often find myself needing to compute this little equation, construct this little simulation, answer a quick science/engineering question. In essence, writing throwaway programs to help me do my job. While there are lots of GUI-based "exploratory mathematics" packages out there, getting them to do what I want is a lot harder than writing a quick throwaway AWK script or C program. I can't imagine a GUI making that type of thing easier or more useful.

Reply to
Marcus Leech

issues,don't you know...(;-)

I thought what David said was a joke as well. Hard to tell sometimes.

That's why I stick to chickens...no worries about anyone taking ME seriously. ;-)

And what is an ANOP?

Reply to
Kurt Kesler

It's best imitation of a typical GUI-centric mail server?

Crash crash crash?

Reply to
Kurt Kesler

ANOP= anonymous poster, one who uses an identify that masks their true identity.. Next to Jerry, my favorite kind of poster..(;-)

Fred

Reply to
WallaceF

Did somebody say "jerry"? ;)