OT: "Elegant Universe" on PBS Tonight

Set your VCRs, TiVos, DVD recorders, or however you record TV!

While you're watching Jack Bauer and Dumb Blonde Kim tonight, make sure you're recording the PBS show (check your local listings) Nova has "Einstein's Dream." It's hosted by Brian Greene, author of _The Elegant Universe_.

If you read the interview with Greene in this month's SciAm, you are already pumped for this show.

Warning: This show may cause certain posters' brains to explode.

Zooty

(Note: Brains will not literally explode. I've seen brains that were caused to explode, either by trauma or decay. It's not nearly as interesting as you'd expect.)

(Dumb Blonde Kim hired by CTU? Man, you thought Jack getting up and running around after a couple of minutes of cardiac arrest was unbelievable last year....)

Reply to
zoot

zoot wrote in news:h6sspv03p07l1hscqrv8f80qltpfkconqu@

4ax.com:

Already set it :)

Reply to
BrundlFly

Zoot,

Thanks for the heads up, set the timer on the VCR.

Rich Kroboth TRA#4148 L2 METRA (Northern New Jersey)

Reply to
rich kroboth
2 hours of nothing. Get a book and really learn somthing about strings. Gary Deaver
Reply to
Gary Deaver

Glad to be of service. I saw the first hour and recorded the whole thing. Some of the special effects (i.e. jumping off the building) looked like Lionheart-Dr. Who stuff, but it was a good explanation for the general public.

On 24,

  • the F150 commercial was hysterical.
  • how the heck did I miss Jack's symptoms?
  • DB Kim has a boyfriend who is either a bad guy or going to die horribly, or possibly both.
  • DB Kim did not cause WWIII by spilling her Diet Coke on her computer. That may be next week.
  • Didn't we see one plot thread on West Wing last season?

Zooty

Reply to
zoot

agreed. too much gloss and not enough substance.

"instead of points, quarks are made of really tiny strings"

and what are the strings made of? Energy is a quantity, not an entity.

Reply to
tater schuld

Mass (entities) and energy are interchangable. E=mc^2. Pretty fundamental.

Brett

Reply to
Brett Buck

Which book?

Alan

Reply to
Alan Jones

Alan,

I just finished watching The Elegant Universe (named after the book, which would be a good purchase) with my wife. My in-laws watched it last night.

The program was aimed at the non-physicist.

In a lot of ways, it was an advertisement for physics. There's just enough there to intrigue a 13 year-old mind. Notice the central-casting approach: The black physicist, the woman physicist, the young hip physicist-narrator.

The program was simplified and rather short on mathematics (did anyone else think the one equation was dx=2? Turns out what I thought was a derivative was actually a 2: i.e. x=1). On the other hand, it enables the non-physicist to understand what the "hullabaloo" is about and why someone would want to know about the ultimate TOE.

Much more than what they covered would have resulted in the vast majority of viewers saying "Huh?"

Zooty.

Reply to
zoot

I have not viewed the second half yet. I agree that this program is for the general public and not for the physicist. I am an Aero. E. and I have taken a physics course on special relativity, about 26 years ago. I have some companion books to PBS science programs, but they are more like picture and history books. I don't really want to read a hard core String Theory Phd. thesis, and I suspect that a companion book to The Elegant Universe would be no more informative than the NOVA program. Something well written at about the Scientific American level might be a good read. OTOH, that book might be just right.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Jones

If you had, we'd all be in that "time travel" argument again. It will be on Nov. 8th, I think.

The Elegant Universe is the book that inspired the show, not a companion book. It's a little above the typical SciAm, but you should be able to read it.

Zooty

Reply to
zoot

Alan Jones wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Victoria's Secret catalog?

Reply to
Leonard Fehskens

Hmmm.. I meant that I have not viewed the second hour of the two hours broadcast Tuesday.

Thanks, I'll look for it. I suspect it will become a popular book like "A Breif History of Time".

Alan

Reply to
Alan Jones