OT: Eyeglasses with glass not plastic lenses

When trying to get a new pair of prescription glasses recently at the place I've going to for years, I was told they stopped carrying glass lenses a couple months ago. They claimed because of liability. I prefer glass even though it weighs a little more, because of the possibility of scratches in the plastic lenses....I think even the myriad of extra cost coatings can get scratches. They said I could get plastic lenses with a Teflon coating guaranteed for 2 years. Can you still get glass in the part of the country (or world) where you live?

-- Richard "why can't I get what I'm willing to pay for?" Hickok

Reply to
Rhhickok

I got plastic lens one time and the first time they got some car engine cleaner on them they where history. I always get glass lens.

Reply to
starlord

My new glasses, which I got in February, have glass lenses. I got slightly smaller lenses than my previous pair, to cut down weight a little. I live in central Illinois, and work in construction, I think plastic (which I've had) scratches too easy.

Reply to
Christopher Deem

I can, at least I could two years ago last time I bought glasses. (here in the Philadelphia, PA area) I must admit, they thought I was crazy - and at a cost of nearly $300 for simple photogray lenses, they may have been right.

However, this does not bode well, for I will never, ever buy plastic eyeglass lenses. My kids could never get more than a few unscratched months out of them, whereas I have prescription glass sunglasses that are over 20 years old (my eyes don't change much) with nary a mark.

Reply to
Scott Schuckert

Haven't checked in years (decades). With glass, my lenses were coke bottle bottoms, and with plastic, they're not bad. The scratch stuff really helps, but the biggest thing is cleaning them.. With glass, water and the corner of my t-shirt would do it. With plastic, use a very soft cloth (the place I get my glasses always provides a couple of sets of cleaner/soft cloths, and even a couple boxed of "handy wipe" type packets). Also found that I now use safety glasses when I should be using safety glasses!

I wouldn't go back to glass!

Also, the "twist-o-flex" frames are great (I don't think that's their real name). They show folks bending them in weird ways and the bounce back in the ads. They cost a bit more, but for me, in the past, the frames would get really bent long before the lenses got really scratched!

That reminds me, time to visit the eye doc myself! My arms aren't always long enough to read a book!

Reply to
AZ Woody

It is 2004.

Tell Dr. manger that Fred Shecter sent you. I can use another $50 referral credit.

;-)

-Fred Shecter NAR 20117

Reply to
Fred Shecter

Even though it's 2004, Fred (& even though I've considered Lasix), I've heard there are shortcomings about it. My brother, who's a doctor, said Lasix complicates or makes treament for glaucoma impossibe if you develop that as you age. I've heard other negative stuff that I can't recall right now. -- Richard "go ahead, call me "Old School" Hickok

Reply to
Rhhickok

Here here Rich!

In the the day I wear contacts and night, the goggles. Been this way for 20 years and I have no complaints. Total old school but it works well for me. I've had friends do the Lasik thing and they constantly try to convince me to just do it. At 37 my eyes are still changing(can't even walk without lenses) I just can't see(pun intended) plunking down coin for ongoing Lasik treatment. Hopefully I won't have the *need* for one of these cuties;

btw, I have two sets of glasses that have this *new* plastic lenses that will not scratch. I even tried to scratch them, nogo. Seriously, plastic lenses have come a long way in recent years.

Ted Novak TRA#5512

Reply to
the notorious t-e-d

It's also bad for Astronomers, as if it's not done right, they lose good night vison

Reply to
starlord

Isn't Lasix some kind of diuretic?

LASIK (all caps since it's an acronym like NASA) was *THE* choice for me. I was seriously nearsighted and the weight of glass or plastic lenses was so great it ate into my nose. The thickness of the plastic lenses was so great that the edges touched/rubbed/annoyed my cheeks. Contacts worked for a while, but then nobody could fit me with a pair that corrected my vision properly - and they started to feel like ground glass in my eyes even when brand new.

LASIK can correct astigmatism as well.

And for Glaucoma - they measure your cornea to see how thick it is. If you have sufficient thickness for the LASIK (which removes a VERY tiny amount), then you qualify as a 'candidate'. If your cornea is too thin, then you do not qualify. I have heard some anecdotal stories of crappy LASIK clinics who go ahead and proceed even if you are too thin, but they are rare. Any major LASIK center with a reputation will only perform the procedure on qualified candidates.

*AND* you get to use your "Pre-Tax Spending Account" to pay for it.

Fantastic not needing glasses to swim, jog, work-out, "etc." (it's that "etc." that's really important)...

Contacts are super bad with balsa dust (or some of you that would be fiberglass dust).

Now I can wear normal sunglasses.

-Fred Shecter NAR 20117

Reply to
Fred Shecter

Mario Perdue NAR #22012 Sr. L2 for email drop the planet

"X-ray-Delta-One, this is Mission Control, two-one-five-six, transmission concluded."

Reply to
Mario Perdue

My non prescription dark tint double gradient mirrored RayBan aviator (rocketeer) sunglasses are all glass, 25 years old, and great. My 2 year old prescription bifocal polycarbonate lenses had scratches on them in just a few months. And the coatings result in them being dirty 5 seconds after I wash them.

Bob Kaplow

Not sure about glass, but I was in a car accident a few years back and the frames got twisted and my plastic lenses were in the backs eat of car perfectly unscratched. I dropped my newer transistions lenses on cement a few times with no ill results. Cleaning them is sometimes a challenge, but I haven't had trouble with scratches.

Reply to
MechCD