OT: Galactica series greenlighted

If you liked the new Battlestar Galactica pilot on Sci-Fi, you're in luck... 'reliable sources' say it's been given the go-ahead for six episodes, AND with the original actors (Olmos MADE this show, IMO, although Starbuck was a little annoying and Apollo was REAL annoying).

Viper re-issue, anyone?

Reply to
BB

snip

My niece gave me the Collector's set of the original series for Christmas. We watched the 3 hour pilot last Saturday night with the commentary of Hatch, Benedict and Jefferson. Their comments sound like something from MST

3000. It's complimentary of the series but they seem fixated on the women like a couple of high school freshmen. It's a hoot.

I still catch flack from Verna for teaching my sons to answer when she called them by saying: By your command!

Of course, I caught a lot more flack when Verna and I were called to the elementary school becuase one of them answered the K-4 teacher's question saying " Whut chew talkin' 'bout fool!?

Randy

Reply to
Randy

I never watched it the 1st time round, and I see no reason to watch this retread...... sorry folks....not all space series are cool ok? deep space 9 sucked too....

just my 2 cents.... shockie B)

ps....anybody EVER seen The Invaders in syndication? anywhere?

shockwaveriderz

Not entirely sure what you mean by syndication, but it was on here in the UK. Long time ago now.

P.S. You're right about DS9. For a long time I thought it was just me.

Reply to
Darren J Longhorn

It occasionall pops up here and there across the world. There seems to be no chance of a DVD release.

But some very good quality caps of the episodes are being posted on alt.binaries.multimeia.scifi about twice a week. They're up to season two.

Reply to
Chuck Stewart

hey, the very first episode was excellent metaphysical "stuff"

where Cisko was dialoging with a timeless being in the stable wormhole about baseball ...

- iz

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

They referred to the original Star Trek as "Wagon Train to the Stars" (as a side, I was always amused that Star Trek and Bonanza seemed to share the same guest stars, I think they were both Desilu productions). With the Wagon Train concept in mind, I initially viewed Deep Space Nine as "Gunsmoke to the Stars" destined to failure simply on the show's premise. You've got a Sheriff, a bar, gambling and your basic bad guys. A small town on the fronteer where new bad guys would have to ride into town every week, and the townspeople would have to deal with them. This static approach to plot development admitted failure when they introduced the Defiant. Gotta have a horse or train and ya gotta travel.

However, I felt the final two seasons of Deep Space Nine redeemed the show, although there was this Alamo theme that kept coming up that was never realized.

Certainly, the episode where Cisko is talking directly to with the camera about ethics was outstanding. This is the one where he is doing a lot of soul searching about having planted false evidence to draw the Romulans into the war against the Dominion. Almost seems relevant to current events.

SkyPirate

And Col. Tigh made one cute little Joe, too. But who was Hoss?

That sounds about par for Sci-Fi. Give us more dreck like "Scare Tactics" and cancel/kill anything that is/might be halfway decent. Thanks again, Bonnie.

That stupid, robotic dog beastie was what needed the axe.

Hey, maybe they could make a show around the robotic Daggit. He could herd mutated, talking chickens around all day and protect them from giant worms who travel at high velocity underground. Add Doherty, dressed in something suitably slinky, as the evil mastermind and you have a hit.

Gack.

Reply to
Kurt Kesler

Ok, and she could run the "Chicken Ranch In Space." ; )

Randy

Reply to
Randy

Watch out for those damn boviners and tin plated sheriffs.

Reply to
Alan Jones

So you finally watched it?

Can you explain why you didn't like the new BSG?

Direction, special effects, acting, thematic elements, dialog, plot development?

Just curious.

Reply to
BB

Did you feel the same way when ST:TNG went into production...? ;-)

I watched it, and couldn't understand what the big deal was about. Sure, some of the plot-points were a little thin, but could be fleshed-out in a series.

Think of it as an 'Alternate-Universe' version of BSG, and enjoy it as the pilot for a NEW series. ;-)

Reply to
Len Lekx

I'm sure there's fans of the original series who will soon have a petition online complaining about the Big Screen Movie based on the Real BSG storyline.

The problem is, NONE of these stories are "real." It's fiction.

You're as bad as the comic book fanboys arguing over whether a Superman story is an imaginary story or a real story.

They're ALL imaginary.

Zooty

Reply to
zoot

But I don't eat, sleep, and drink B5. I don't go around dressed up as Kosh, I can't speak Minbari, and I'll even point out that Straczynski (with the exception of Midnight Nation) seems to have a hell of a time completing something since B5. He's a great writer. I've learned a lot from him, especially from his book "Scriptwriting." He's not perfect, nor does he have to be.

I do wish he'd finish Rising Stars, though....

I became an SF fan in 3rd grade when my parents ordered me to quit reading science books. Being the passive-agressive little snot that I am, I switched to SF. Pissed them off royally, which was half the fun.

My reading's slowed down. I read a book about every three days, not including stuff like Sonar 2 Power or that book on QM in a steep gravitational field. Working with my recording setup or calculating Hamiltonians slow down my reading speed. A relaxed reading speed is

500 wpm. I don't actually spend much time reading books.

Not everything I read is SF. SF is actually just a small part. Right now I'm working through all of the Temperance Brennan series by Kathy Reichs. For some reason, _Fatal Voyage_ caught my eye. I can'[t imagine why....

I'm working on writing my second SF novel. From what I've learned from writing this one, I can already think of whole sections of the original that I need to rip out or re-write. There's one plot complication that has to go, too. That's part of learning.

You didn't even see it before you started complaining. You still haven't seen it. That's something I would associate with Jerry Falwell or Fred Phelps.

The original show started off interesting, if scientifically screwed up. Unfortunately, they never got around to killing off the robot dog and the little twerp. It was like the kid and the monkey escaped from Speed Racer and snuck onto the BSG set.

The new version was fun. It wasn't perfect - Starbuck was overdone. There were some nice touches that the original lacked. The kid was minimal. No robot dog....

If you'd actually seen the new version, I'd respect your right to complain. I'd disagree with you, but I'd respect it.

As is, it sounds like fanboy whining.

You're obviously old enough to have seen the Saturday Night Live skit with Shattner.

Zooty

Reply to
zoot

I liked a few episodes of each... in much the same way as I liked a few episodes of DS9 and Voyager when they ran. Even Enterprise has its' moments. :-)

What bothers me most about what you say... is that you're condemning the show without actually *seeing* it. It's kinda like saying that a rocket won't fly when you haven't done much more than look at a couple of rough sketches.

Personally, I think the movie version of Starship Troopers is garbage... but I didn't form my opinion until I'd seen the thing a couple of times.

Pity... I thought it had potential. ;-)

Reply to
Len Lekx

Ordered you top quit reading science books? What, were they trying to sabotage your brain?

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

Ever hear the phrase "Get a life!"? It's Shatner's line to some fanboys in one of the SNL skits. I thought you'd catch the reference, if only by having read it somewhere else.

I said that I didn't. I never said that you did. Try re-reading. You told me who you were. I told you who I am. I'm pointing out that, while I use a pseudonym based on a funny but unimportant B5 character, B5 is not my entire life.

If someone said that there was going to be a B5 reboot with a different take on the whole thing, I'd probably watch. If I didn't watch, it's simply because I'm a little fed up with 5 year story arcs that get canceled mid-first season.

500 wpm for me isn't speed reading. That's relaxed. I read each and every line and build up a picture in my mind as well. It's a strange side effect from my FidoNet days.

No, I'm calling you a fanboy because of the irrational aspects, like getting all flamed up about a movie you never saw.

So what if the new movie didn't follow the original BSG? There was a lot in the original BSG that was at best juvenile and at worst...I don't know...felgercarb?

I know a fanboy who's boycotting LOTR because they left out Tom Bombadil, rearranged some stuff, and had Arwin do some stuff in the movie that she didn't do in the book.

There's another one who won't see the movie "Spider-Man" because the web shooters in the movie are organic and not mechanical. He got really upset when I pointed out where the webbing actually should be shooting from....

How are you different from them?

Zooty

Reply to
zoot

I'm sure it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Zooty

Reply to
zoot

The reference was to "Crusade" and to a B5 pilot that never made it past the pilot.

Zooty

Reply to
zoot

This made me laugh. Very good.