[OT] Go outside and see the lunar eclipse tonight.

The trick is, he observes naked.

The telescope, not him, I mean.

Oh heck, everyone on r.m.r. now has that image in their mind and is delivering road pizzas.

Sorry about that, folks.

Zooty

In 14 months, do you think someone can come up with a night launch rocket that will get a picture of the lunar eclipse?

Reply to
zoot

Any chance you can put some info up on your website? A quick-to-build 8" could be a popular project.

I'm assuming its a reflector, but you never know with these L3 types. ;)

"The optical tube assembly also doubles as a sustainer body in my upscale HPR project..."

Reply to
Gary

Mostly cloudy in Chicago last night, but I got several glimses of it through the holes, or through the thin layer at times. Was MUCH warmer for the last one in May.

For those of you who forgot, this eclipse is followed by a Total Lunar Eclipse in 2 weeks. Except it's only visible from Antartica :-(

Bob Kaplow

kaplow snipped-for-privacy@encompasserve.org.TRABoD (Bob Kaplow) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@eisner.encompasserve.org:

You must have been in the wrong part of Chicago :-) In my part, the sky was clear and we had a great view of the eclips. Had a lot of kids howling to chase the evil spirits away too!

Reply to
David W.

When the first crescent of post-totality appeared, someone in the neighborhood set off a string of firecrackers. I'd expect that perhaps from Chinatown...

Bob Kaplow

Naw, it was a Pegasus Optics primary and secondary. It was a quick (but quality) dob build with a sono tube. It was with a high school senior student for his senior project. ...came out nice.

-- Drake "Doc" Damerau

NEPRA President NAR Section 614 NAR 79986 L3
Remove "My Shorts" to reply

Reply to
Doc

Actually, I did get a chance to throw a coat of primer on the outside. I did paint the mirror cell and the tube ID flat black. I have tried to view naked in the past, but the light scatter it horrendous!

This time of year anyhow. ;-)

HEY, I resemble that!

-- Drake "Doc" Damerau

NEPRA President NAR Section 614 NAR 79986 L3
Remove "My Shorts" to reply

Reply to
Doc

Not a bad idea. Since I did it with/for a HS student for a project, I took lots of digital pics during the build.

Yeah, an 8" in 6 hours... it was an 8" f4.5 on a dob mount. Helical focuser.

LOL! ..although it COULD be deployed at apogee and used to do something. Hmmmmm?

-- Drake "Doc" Damerau

NEPRA President NAR Section 614 NAR 79986 L3
Remove "My Shorts" to reply

Reply to
Doc

I'm assuming you mean Total Solar Eclipse. It's not possible to have a Total Lunar Eclipse during a new moon.

David Erbas-White

Reply to
David Erbas-White

Hey, someone has to scare the danged dragon away from eating the moon!

Zooty

Reply to
zoot