OT hey jerry what's this?

A source of mine, who shall remain nameless, sent me this in an email:

Are you guys aware of the nonsense that USR is trying to get away > with on Ebay? On Saturday I saw two auctions end where this US Rocket dealer > used the Aerotech name in the auction title. He then went on in the > description to say that "Errortech (sic) was going out of business--so you > should buy US Rockets" I guess that did not work--so now as of Sunday--they > are pretending to be selling Aerotech kits. >

Ebay auction 3173300820, listed today, is selling "Aerotech Cheapest 29mm > kit, Fire and Forget It". Little mention of USR--they never definitely say > it is a US Rocket kit. Then Ebay Auction 3173246959 is for "Aerotech, US > Rockets Mfg.38mm Easy Rider" They sort of mention US Rockets in the > description. They do the same thing in auction 3173330795 "Aerotech
29 & 24mm > Miniroc 1.2 Rocket Kit"

Here's the link.

Dave Grayvis

So you did it? Is that why you remain nameless?

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I doubt if Jerry himself is doing it.

Either way, you should report it to eBay, not to RMR. It's specifically against their keyword spamming rules.

David

I am not but I checked with Ebay and the only "appropriate catagory" right now is Aerotech. It seems there are not enough people selling second hand their USR stuff to justify a catagory (yet).

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I contacted the seller. Here's the reply: "This is a US Rocket kit, I only listed under the Aerotech Category If you read the whole description you will see that this is a US Rocket MFG Kit" (Louis Kulpa aka Ikulpajr ) This is in reference to the Initiator kit. This person only has about 41 deals to their name so perhaps it's a newbe that is a tad confused.

Reply to
Reece Talley

That would jibe with what the seller explained to me. See my other post for his response.

Reply to
Reece Talley

That's complete bull hockey. There is no Aerotech category. The category he is using is Home > All Categories > Toys & Hobbies > Models, Kits >

Rocketry

He is using the Aerotech brand name in the description that HE types in, for a product that is not made by Aerotech, in order to increase hits. That is the exact definition of Keyword Misuse on the keyword spamming policy. It is against eBay rules. Now whether eBay should string the guy up or not I guess is up for debate, because a lot of people violate this rule. But let's be clear that it is violating the rules.

Reply to
David

So he is using the correct catagory.

I'll take your word for it because I rarely even go to the eBay site and I do not "use" eBay.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Oh, I would never disagree with you there. I was just posting this guy's response to my query.

Reply to
Reece Talley

Kripe

specifically

Reply to
ArtU

is that why most rocket sales on ebay say Estes in the title line? most all ? take a good look dude at all titles that say estes OK??

for the record, I am not an apologist.

Art

specifically

Reply to
ArtU

Uh, most of the rocket stuff on Ebay is Estes.

-- Joe Michel NAR 82797 L1

J.A. Michel

Uh, most of the rocket stuff on Earth is Estes.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I think NASA has the edge in volume.

Joel. phx

How many Estes motors would it take to equal the total thrust of NASA launches?

Reply to
Testlab

Point. Show me an eBay listing of a NASA motor for sale.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Dude, I said that in my second to last sentence.

Reply to
David

I have gotten so tired of it that I created a shortcut button to the reporting page for keyword spamming. So now when I search for Joe Rocket coats and get AGV pants, it's copy, click, paste, done.

Reply to
Kurt Kesler

Check the cover of the Model ROcket News from the late 60s, with the Saturn-V powered by a cluster of C6-0 boosters...

Bob Kaplow

My pet peeve a few months ago was to search for Arai and get a bunch of P.O.S. off brand fugly lids that I wouldn't even trust as a flower pot.

Reply to
Tim

Actually, I've seen this a lot, but using Estes. See the names draw draw people and get caught in the common search phrases. I mean, really, for someone to say:

  • Estes / Quest Rocket Kits, 5 SL1, Mint, 50% then the product: Estes / Quest 5 SL1 Rocket Kits-50% Off. MINT! All of these 5 Quest Rockets are new and in MINT condition
  • Rocket Parachute(s) 36 Inch Giants (estes) the the product: These Are New Great On Estes LOC or PML Kits Up To 3 Pounds

I'm not defending or even saying whether I think it is right, just that it occurs with other auctions as well. Maybe these descriptions are clearer than what you saw.

It would probably be more accurate to say "US Rockets MiniRoc (Aerotech powered)" to have the same effect.

My 2 cents, which I rarely toss out there....

Nick

Reply to
EMRR