OT - Kidd class destroyers..?

Anyone served on one of these ships? Taiwan just got 2 of them from the USA and Im wondering, how good are they??
Also if anyone's flown a fighter, how the heck does a plane know if a
missile is tracking them? do they have some kind of system that "knows" if a missile is locking onto their heat signature or is all this all hollywood bluff?
-- TAI FU

Oh man, you should have ordered 3, cuz then you get a free eggroll.

The electronics suite can tell when an enemy's radar system is scanning them, and the proper countermeasures (signal jamming, chaff, pooping in pants) can be engaged. For an infrared seeking missile, the plane's sensors detect the heat plume coming up from the ground, then the countermeasures guy can release flares. Plus, the pilot can kill the engine and put the transmission in neutral (or just push the clutch in, if it's a manual transmission) then coast until the missile loses lock.
Mostly though, the newer U.S. planes are so fast that the pilots are in bed, passed out drunk on top their friend's wives, by the time the bombs they've released have reached their targets and killed this month's quota of innocent civilians. AMERICA! F*** YEAH! :-P
Another technique that worked back in the 60s and 70s was to fly fast and low to the ground once you detected a IR missile on your 6. The heat from the ground would oftentimes confuse the missile much the same way radar guided missiles can be confused by ground clutter. Now days though, I would imagine that first class nations have equipment that can defeat such simple maneuvers.
--
R. J. Talley
Teacher/James Madison Fellow
R. J. Talley
Teacher/James Madison Fellow
Reece Talley wrote:

Not necessarily. The MA-1, MG-10, and MG-13 AWCS could display visual imagery of infrared point-source targets.(i.e., jet engines) While radar was often used as a backup for target acquisition, all of these systems were capable of IR target acquisition independent of radar.
MA-1 (on the F-106) would continue to sweep radar after IR lockon. This was to fool the bomber's countermeasure operator into thinking the interceptor was still looking for him.
Always nice to meet another Air Defense weenie. Somebody had to protect SAC.
Bill Sullivan
Bill, have you and I met? The name seems familiar. I was a Weather Obs assigned to 24th NORAD at Malmstrom and to the ADC up at Tatalina AFS.
--
R. J. Talley
Teacher/James Madison Fellow
Reece Talley wrote:

I doubt it. I was stationed at Minot AFB (5th Fighter Sq.) in 1971-1972, spent a year in Thailand waging peace with honor, and spent 1974-1977 atTAyndall AFB (Air Defense Weapons Center) with several TDY's to Lowry AFB for tech school. I was an MA-1 tech.
Let's put it this way, just one of them accompanied by a single Harrier, could take out Taiwan's entire military in about 15 minutes.
The Scout Troop 214 (16 ten yearolds) would swoop in and establish a new government.
; )
Randy www.vernarockets.com

While I appreciate the stark contrast between the US military and others such as Taiwan's (and hence enjoy the humor) I'm under the impression that while Taiwan's military may be small, that they are in fact quite effective. Is that right? Or am I all wet?
Doug

Defense always has the advantage,I believe it is something like 5:1,you need 5 invaders to overcome one defender.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

You seem to believe that the US would throw nukes at China over Taiwan,and I seriously doubt that would happen.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Except that the US does not HAVE any naval gunfire ships anymore;all the ships in the current inventory each only have one or two 5" guns,nothing bigger,and none of those ships carry enough (expensive)missiles. The Iowa class BBs are no longer in service,have not beem maintained,and no crews to man them. AC-130 gunships can only fly in fair weather conditions.
And as far as the "political situation",no neighboring country,some allies of ours,would appreciate the fallout from nuclear weapons,nor would our military leadership use them without a direct threat to the US.
BTW,the Red Chinese generals have made statements about sacrificing millions of their own citizens in order to secure Taiwan,it doesn't bother them in the least,due to their over-population problems.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Maybe I missed something - did Dubyah leave office last night?

You know,the chances of any opponent messing with the US are greater with leadership that is more reluctant to act in our own defense,like the Defeatocrats.Note how under Carter,Iran invaded our embassy,held them hostage for over a year,and when Reagan entered office,they quickly freed them.They knew Carter was a pussy,and that Reagan would act decisively.Under Clinton,there were REPEATED attacks against the US by Al- Queda,and they miscalculated about Bush,but have made only one attack,and have suffered severe setbacks.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Yes but mt point is that I doubt that Dubya would hesitatle to lob a nuke over Taiwan (or anyone else) if he wanted to hit China.
Phil Stein wrote:

I think it would be better if he wanted to hit Iran.
Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75

Iran is next. Once W hits Iran, he'll have all three in a row, and can start building houses and hotels.
kaplow snipped-for-privacy@encompasserve.org.mars (Bob Kaplow) wrote in writes:

Actually,I believe Bush does NOT want to have to war with Iran,that he's thinking that a democratic Iraq would get the Iranian people to dump their mullahcracy.(as an example;"why can't we do that"...) Iran is a much larger,much more difficult country to war against. Bush is also trying to build a UN effort to press Iran to drop the nuke program.(and people wrongly think he only acts unilaterally)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik