OT - Kidd class destroyers..?

Ya right. Just like the North Korean people look at South Korea and say, "why can't we do that." I don't believe a democratic Iraq will spread democracy in the area. Furthermore, I think a democratic Iraq can be as bad a threat to the US as an Iraq dictatorship. Admittedly, the US may be able to more easily manipulate a democratic Iraq. Now if we could get a truly Christian Iraq...

Not a problem. First you send in lots of spies and UN inspectors. Then you get Iran to destroy all of their WMD, most of their air force, long range missiles, etc. Meanwhile, back home, you demonize Iran, and shore up your popularity by giving huge tax breaks, mostly to constituents of your political base. Then wait for any technical violation of UN inspections. Finally, with detailed intel, you invade the nearly defenseless Iran with overwhelming force. After a couple of weeks of shooting fish in barrel, you declare a major US victory, and bring the big guns home, to replaced by occupation forces. Brilliant. Of course you also have to get deeper into bed with Communist China, who is actually providing most of financing for the war...
writes:

Different situation;NK tightly controls all news sources,travel,while Arab countries have relatively open borders,and news sources that NK people do not have.

Now I know you are not rational. End of discussion.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Congratulations on appointing yourself the new judge of rationality.
On 22 Dec 2005 10:15:55 -0600, kaplow snipped-for-privacy@encompasserve.org.mars (Bob Kaplow) wrote:

Who would live or visit the great radioactive glass desert?

You don't make sense. Are you saying that Bush might desire to nuke Red China,and thus use Taiwan as an excuse to do so?? If that is so,then you are deluded,not rational.
I believe that Bush would not use nukes if Red China attacked Taiwan(converntionally),that it would stay a conventional conflict unless the Commmies used nukes against us.If they just nuked Taiwan,I do not believe we would nuke Red China in retaliation.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

If R.C. nuked Taiwan, we would use nukes to obliterate R.C.'s military; completely, utterly, and decisively.

I agree, but would nuking Red China nullify the huge portion of US national debt that is held by Red China? Of course Bush would have to get his AMB system working first.

I believe most US presidents would authorize the use of nukes as a deterrent. However, after Taiwan is obliterated, there is little point to that eye for an eye thing, especially when it was not even your eye that was lost. OTOH, given US-China relations, maybe we'd turn on Taiwan as a favor to China. :(

I'm not saying he would use Taiwan as an excuse. Lob a nuke over Taiwan is like lobing a tennis ball over the net.
Everyone has been warned before and is now being rewarned that I will NEVER seriously discuss politics or religion on rmr. Best you'll get out of me is a few comments. That being the case, if I were you, I wouldn't be getting my panties in a bunch over this stuff.
PS - Anyone that thinks I'm delusional is a moron.
Happy holidays to all.
Phil
Jim Yanik wrote:

Actually, the Reagan camp had a secret agreement with the Iranians to release the hostages when Reagan was sworn in. Remember Iran/Contra?

I don't worry as much about an opponent messing with the US, the sole remaining superpower, as much as I worry about Bush messing with other weak nearly defenseless nations.

That may be true when laying siege to a fortified castle, but I think most generals would agree that the best defense is a strong offense.
OTOH, the Bush administration keeps telling us that we (as defenders) have to be right 100% of the time, while the terrorists (as invaders) only have to be right once. :(
Taiwan is an odd case. The China that was one of the US WWII allies is now essentially Taiwan, while China has become one of those evil communist empires. Taiwan's defense is essentially rooted in friendship with the US.
I remember when Australia was first interested in buying F-18s. McDD would tout their fighting capability, etc., but Australia essentially said they did not care to shoot anything down, the just wanted to be able go up and see who is violating their airspace.
Alan

Or an island nation,and you have to land ground troops.

Well,Maybe I should have said "as a general rule",it's not set in concrete.

Not as invaders but as terrorists;IOW,killing innocent people thru terror acts like suicide bombings,or crashing jets into office towers. Whereas the President is charged with protecting the US people.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Not always,the SA-7 Strela (man-portable air-defense system,or MANPADS)has a small warhead,and only tracks on the hot tailpipe unlike the newer Igla series (SA-16/18) that is all-aspect IR homing.The SA-7 is old and obsolete.And they are strictly short range,less than 3 miles.But the SA-16s are being made by China,too,and are in circulation.
The latest Russian fighters,Mig-29,Su-27(and the F-14 Tomcat) have a cooled IR/optical search mode where they can detect an enemy fighter and launch an IR attack with using any radar at all.
globalsecurity.com is a good source for military hardware info.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Radars have different freqs and pulse rates for search,tracking and missile guidance.Combat planes have several antennas all over their airframes,that detect the radar emissions,and compare time-of-arrival from each antenna to give a vector to the source.All this data gets displayed in the pilots HUD(heads-up display).
For IR attacks,there are passive missile warning sensors,Northrop Grumman makes one,they optically scan using multi-band sensors to minimize falses.They detect the IR and UV generated by a missile plume,and give the pilot a quadrant from which the missile is approaching,to aid in evasion and best use of countermeasures. The Northrop system also has an optical jammer to confuse or damage the missile's seeker.(xenon tube or laser)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I served on the U.S.S Scott DDG-995 for a couple of years and in my humble opinion, they are a very capable ship with a lot of defensive punch(not much on strike warfare tho' and as such the US Navy didn't see a need to keep them any longer. Nicknamed the Ayatollah class, they were originally commision for the Royal Iranian Navy and were just about to be delivered when the Shah was overthrown and the Americans working in the embassy were captured and held hostage. Based on the Spruance class destroyer platform with all kinds of Anti-air, surface, and subsurface goodies, I kind of think of them as a poor man's Aegis. In fact, under some circumstances, the Kidds perform better. This sale has been in the works for a long time now and a lot has hinged on US/China relations.
Jeff. p.s. the fighter will know that he is locked on the same way a speeder knows a cop is about to bust him for speeding Radar detector! this however does not work on an infrared guided missile as there are no emmisions from the weapon to detect. IF he is lucky enough to see the launch flume from the platform he might be able to employ some countermeasures but not always succesfully. This holds true for some of the modern anti-aircraft missiles that only rely on guidance for terminal phase of the intercept. Also, many missiles have a home on jam capability that will track the source of jamming and guide on it. Point is, in heavily defended area, strike mission weapon of choice would be a cruise missile. Second choice a stealth bomber/fighter operating in the dark.
so can you shed some light as to what a AEGIS cruiser is and what is it for?
-- TAI FU
tai fu wrote:

AEGIS class cruisers are for kicking the crap out of KIDD class destroyers :)

AEGIS is the premier anti-air defense cruiser for carrier group defense. The smaller destroyers are for anti-surface and anti-sub warfare,and as assists on anti-air defense.(not having as capable a radar as AEGIS)
AEGIS is a VERY powerful phased array radar and computer system that can locate,track many multiple targets and guide SAMs to intercept them,an entire air-battle management system.
globalsecurity.com,check it out.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik