OT - Kidd class destroyers..?

Jim that was not my point at all. If one wants to waste the time and trouble and waste lives to take a hill just to give it back again ala Vietnam and numerous other places then have at it. If one wants to destroy an objective for whatever reason or just kill the enemy then a special delivery is in order. Our agreemants with the ROC are pretty clear that we shall help defend them. To what extent that defense is is up to the political/social/economic situation of that time. (and don't forget Halliburton much see a profit in it.) I was just makin comment on your comment on the 5 to 1 ratio you quoted. Of course with proper air/artillery/naval gunfire support this can and usually is much higher. Nothing quite like a Spectre or an Iowa class BB to learn some peoples the true meaning of respect.

Reply to
nitram578

Maybe I missed something - did Dubyah leave office last night?

Reply to
Phil Stein

"nitram578" wrote in news:bjoqf.137$ snipped-for-privacy@fe03.lga:

Except that the US does not HAVE any naval gunfire ships anymore;all the ships in the current inventory each only have one or two 5" guns,nothing bigger,and none of those ships carry enough (expensive)missiles. The Iowa class BBs are no longer in service,have not beem maintained,and no crews to man them. AC-130 gunships can only fly in fair weather conditions.

And as far as the "political situation",no neighboring country,some allies of ours,would appreciate the fallout from nuclear weapons,nor would our military leadership use them without a direct threat to the US.

BTW,the Red Chinese generals have made statements about sacrificing millions of their own citizens in order to secure Taiwan,it doesn't bother them in the least,due to their over-population problems.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Phil Stein wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You know,the chances of any opponent messing with the US are greater with leadership that is more reluctant to act in our own defense,like the Defeatocrats.Note how under Carter,Iran invaded our embassy,held them hostage for over a year,and when Reagan entered office,they quickly freed them.They knew Carter was a pussy,and that Reagan would act decisively.Under Clinton,there were REPEATED attacks against the US by Al- Queda,and they miscalculated about Bush,but have made only one attack,and have suffered severe setbacks.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Yes but mt point is that I doubt that Dubya would hesitatle to lob a nuke over Taiwan (or anyone else) if he wanted to hit China.

Reply to
Phil Stein

I think it would be better if he wanted to hit Iran.

Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75

Reply to
the notorious t-e-d

I doubt it. I was stationed at Minot AFB (5th Fighter Sq.) in

1971-1972, spent a year in Thailand waging peace with honor, and spent 1974-1977 atTAyndall AFB (Air Defense Weapons Center) with several TDY's to Lowry AFB for tech school. I was an MA-1 tech.
Reply to
The Rocket Scientist

Actually, the Reagan camp had a secret agreement with the Iranians to release the hostages when Reagan was sworn in. Remember Iran/Contra?

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

Iran is next. Once W hits Iran, he'll have all three in a row, and can start building houses and hotels.

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

Phil Stein wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You don't make sense. Are you saying that Bush might desire to nuke Red China,and thus use Taiwan as an excuse to do so?? If that is so,then you are deluded,not rational.

I believe that Bush would not use nukes if Red China attacked Taiwan(converntionally),that it would stay a conventional conflict unless the Commmies used nukes against us.If they just nuked Taiwan,I do not believe we would nuke Red China in retaliation.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

kaplow snipped-for-privacy@encompasserve.org.mars (Bob Kaplow) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@eisner.encompasserve.org:

Actually,I believe Bush does NOT want to have to war with Iran,that he's thinking that a democratic Iraq would get the Iranian people to dump their mullahcracy.(as an example;"why can't we do that"...) Iran is a much larger,much more difficult country to war against. Bush is also trying to build a UN effort to press Iran to drop the nuke program.(and people wrongly think he only acts unilaterally)

Reply to
Jim Yanik

If R.C. nuked Taiwan, we would use nukes to obliterate R.C.'s military; completely, utterly, and decisively.

Reply to
Me

Who would live or visit the great radioactive glass desert?

Reply to
Alan Jones

I don't worry as much about an opponent messing with the US, the sole remaining superpower, as much as I worry about Bush messing with other weak nearly defenseless nations.

Reply to
Alan Jones

I agree, but would nuking Red China nullify the huge portion of US national debt that is held by Red China? Of course Bush would have to get his AMB system working first.

I believe most US presidents would authorize the use of nukes as a deterrent. However, after Taiwan is obliterated, there is little point to that eye for an eye thing, especially when it was not even your eye that was lost. OTOH, given US-China relations, maybe we'd turn on Taiwan as a favor to China. :(

Reply to
Alan Jones

Ya right. Just like the North Korean people look at South Korea and say, "why can't we do that." I don't believe a democratic Iraq will spread democracy in the area. Furthermore, I think a democratic Iraq can be as bad a threat to the US as an Iraq dictatorship. Admittedly, the US may be able to more easily manipulate a democratic Iraq. Now if we could get a truly Christian Iraq...

Not a problem. First you send in lots of spies and UN inspectors. Then you get Iran to destroy all of their WMD, most of their air force, long range missiles, etc. Meanwhile, back home, you demonize Iran, and shore up your popularity by giving huge tax breaks, mostly to constituents of your political base. Then wait for any technical violation of UN inspections. Finally, with detailed intel, you invade the nearly defenseless Iran with overwhelming force. After a couple of weeks of shooting fish in barrel, you declare a major US victory, and bring the big guns home, to replaced by occupation forces. Brilliant. Of course you also have to get deeper into bed with Communist China, who is actually providing most of financing for the war...

Reply to
Alan Jones

did I miss something? I can't find any info on Kidd class on globalsecurity.com, all I found was an anti Bush site...

-- TAI FU

Reply to
tai fu

Try

John Bowles

Alan Jones wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Different situation;NK tightly controls all news sources,travel,while Arab countries have relatively open borders,and news sources that NK people do not have.

Now I know you are not rational. End of discussion.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

"tai fu" wrote in news:dofi3e$bgb$ snipped-for-privacy@geraldo.cc.utexas.edu:

I'm sorry,it should be .org.not .com.