OT: Odorama movies; power problems

Some semi-random ramblings...

Last night it got cold enough that there was frost all over everything this morning. So naturally, the power goes out and we can't heat the house. That's the fourth time this month that the power has been out, and I've lost track of how many times it's gone out over the past year! Sheesh! It's like living in a Third World country.

What gets into some people? At movies the other day we had the misfortune of being seated behind a guy who had on enough bad cologne to stun a buffalo at fifty paces. Or maybe it was his greasy hairgel. The guy was a human Pepe LePew. He came in late and the theater was pretty full so it was too late for us to move to a more distant seat.

Speaking of bad smells, a couple weeks ago at that same movie theater, we get in line at the concession stand and are overcome by a foul odor. Then I notice the old guy in front of us in line has a huge, wet brown stain oozing through the seat of his pants! Poor guy seemed to be completely unaware of it. I don't think there's any non-humiliating way to break this kind of news to someone. Luckily I didn't have to, one of the employees did.

Reply to
RayDunakin

J.A. Michel

No way! That is RIPE!!!! I think I'd give up on going to the movies and wait for it to come out on DVD!!! ;-)

-- Joe Michel NAR 82797 L1

Reply to
J.A. Michel

To the first issue, some folks just don't know when enough is enough. We've got lots of "turd world" types here in SoCal. With them, deodorant would be a huge leap foreword in personal hygiene. Ironically, money is not the issue. I taught ESL (English as a Second Language) for many years. My Mexican and Central American adult students were all poor as church mice and typically had little education beyond the 6th grade. But, they came to class after working all day, freshly showered and in clean clothes. On the other hand, my students from Armenia were frequently doctors, engineers, well-educated people who had once held important positions in the Soviet Union or the government of the Shaw of Iran. These folks came to class smelling of old BO and cigarettes /onion / garlic and heavy cologne. It was almost unbearable some nights. Nice people too, but smell was not an issue to them. Go figure. In AK, the Korean wives of the RCA AlaskCom workers used to eat KimChe in the small movie theater...dang, that would knock a buzzard of a shit wagon at 40 paces.

As to the old man with the crap stain on the back of his pants, he simply may not have known and there was no polite way to tell him really. I guess one could say, "Excuse me sir, but it looks as if you sat in something" but I doubt that would work. His checking would be far from discreet and once attention was called to it, he'd be humiliated. I guess you did the best you could.

Reply to
Reece Talley

These are the EXACT same reasons why I quit going to the movie theater. I'm patient, I can wait 6 months for it to come out on video/DVD. Far cheaper and having the ability to pause the flick to go grab a brew or hit the can makes it convient.

Ted Novak TRA#5512

Reply to
nedtovak

ray, u do live in a 3rd world country, welcome to the prk...... shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

snip

For what they charge to see first run movies now, I can buy them for less. We just quit going.

Randy

Reply to
Randy

Same here. Two nights ago I watched LOTR III (great movie) next to a family that hadn't bathed, in front of a kid who kicked the seat for the entire movie, and behind a collection of goths who talked the whole time.

OK, the goths were entertaining...

A movie for me means a baby sitter for my three kids, dinner out, and then full-price tickets and triple-price popcorn. I'm cheap, which means I prefer DVD's and Pop Secret. And dinners out with the wife are a lot less hectic and enjoyable if we aren't trying to make it to a movie.

Long live the home entertainment system!!!

Rocket Flyer Southeast Georgia

Reply to
Rocket Flyer

It's time to look into back up power. Dispite all the talk about the system after the blackout, nothing is being done. I'm looking into a generator and transfer switch wiring. Budgeted and planned for a summer project. We also went back and refreshed our Y2K stock piles. Seams the prudent thing to do in the new milenium. As for the brown stained gentelman, I make a hell of alot of money every year removing Depends and adult diapers from public sewer lines and toilets. Gary the Plumber

Reply to
Gary Deaver

now if they would release 1st run movies like LOTR3 to be instant pay for view too.... shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

nine times out of ten I'll wait for the pay-per-view (actually Time Warner NY has "movies on demand", which is more like TIVO for a 24 hour period after you order the movie. In fact, they have DVR too, which is exactly like TIVO but without the box)

when we do go to the theater, we usually go to a first showing on Sat or Sun (which is 10:30 am) get there half hour early and get our choice of seats. I never see a movie with a big draw until the third or fourth week it runs (the crowd just isn't worth it), and only go to theatres that have "stadium style" seating.

but I'll only go to a theater when not seeing it on the "Big Screen" would diminish the experience. For example, we just saw The Return of the King (Lord of the Rings III) yesterday, and it was worth seeing on the big screen.

- iz

Rocket Flyer wrote:

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

I like going out to the movies, in part because I work at home so I'm home all the time. Also I like seeing the movie on a big screen -- even the smallest theater screens are bigger than any TV, and sharper too. It helps that we can go for weekday afternoon matinees, when prices are cheaper and there's usually only a few people at the theater.

Reply to
RayDunakin

Long live HES indeed! Currently I'm in the process of building a home movie theater in my basement. Surround sound, dish dvr, bar, LCD HDTV projector....the whole enchilada. Obviously the LCD projector is the big bucks but I'm certain a deal can be done.

I even have a velvet painting with dogs playing cards :)

Ted 'bulldog was cheating' Novak TRA#5512

Reply to
the notorious t-e-d

How about a gentle tap on the shoulder and just say, "Exuse me sir, it appears to me that you may have crapped your pants" :-).

Reply to
Mike Burch

"Excuse me sir, what movie did you see?"

"George Bush, the hero of the world"

"Oh, that explains it"

Reply to
tater schuld