[OT] Patriot Act renewed

anybody notice that the majority of the Patriot Act was renewed permanent? with a couple sections being semi-permanent for 10 years?
that should be about enough time for the USA to completely become a fascist state..
I wonder if they read it this time around? naww.... that would be askin too much from our congress critters....
shockie B)
The House version passed (257-171) The Senate version will still need to pass and then the two versions of the bill will have to be melded into 1 and then the President gets to sign (or veto).
I still hold out hope, but at the same time I know its a false hope.
To see how your House Rep voted, check out: http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2005/roll414.xml
Hows that song start out? oh yeah..."Oh Canada..."
-Aaron
Ya really think our government is better at their job than yours?
We've got our own problems...Sponsorship scandal, a minority goverenment that needs approval from at least one other party to get any legislation passed, ridiculous taxation rates, and to top that off, we have Adrienne "I can't spend it fast enough" Clarkson as our Governor General (a holdover position from the monarchy that really doesn't do anything except spend my tax dollars).
Having said that, we also don't really have a guns in schools problem, our marijuana laws are very relaxed and rarely enforced for simple possession, our drinking age is 19, and our beer is better!
So it's a trade off really. I'm not trying to start a "my country is better than your country" flame war, just pointing out that our goverments, federal provincial and municipal, are really not a whole lot better than yours. Mind you, we haven't elected any bad action film actors or professional wrestlers to office yet either...;)
Randy. Melbourne, Ontario That country directly north of you....(unless you are in Detroit, then it is actually a little south and east of you)

There's always tomorrow.

Blame Canada . . . blame Canada . . .
Aaron wrote:

Now, now, where's your patriotism?! How about "....and I'm proud to be an Amerikan! Where they let me think I'm free....."
Well shocky,
If you are from this earth, you would have heard from the tragic events of September 11, 2001, which changed the world forever.
Rather than tinkering with the "Patriot Act" in the US, this "Patriot Act" should be adopted by legislators around the world to pave the way to fight global Terror.
Listen PM Tony Blair ....
And finally, a big thank you to President George W. Bush, for being such a seasoned world leader.
Al from the UK ----------------
Al wrote: <<snipped total uninformed b*llocks>>

Al, quit trolling, please. Or if you're not trolling, go read up on what you're talking about first.
There's an old phrase: "it's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and prove this conclusively."
Sorry for being direct.
G.
--
Graham J. Platt
graham (a) bowhunter (d) demon (d) co (d) uk

I wish he would not use the name Al ;-)
Al Max
Actually, the British have more to worry about than us at the moment: Their elite police force (the ones that actually can carry guns) are gunning down their own citizens, execution style! Are you all sure that those are police and not mafia thugs? Oh pardon me, over there I guess they're the same! Daniel
Graham wrote:

DanF wrote:

Actually, it was a Brazilian, not a British citizen, and wearing a 'puffa' jacket in a heatwave, the guy didn't stop when the police asked him to, ran away from the police, then vaulted the barriers into the underground and ran straight onto a train. Given what happened the day before, I guess it's understandable the police were a little jumpy and din't want to take a chance he was wearing an explosives belt. And what would have said if the police tried to grab him on the train, he detonated explosives and killed more innocent bystanders on the train? It's a catch-22, and the police on the spot had to make a snap decision. Hindsight and detachment by several thousand miles from the scene are wonderful things Daniel - what would you have done if you were one of the policemen in those circumstances?
G.
--
Graham J. Platt
graham (a) bowhunter (d) demon (d) co (d) uk
says...

Pop a cap in that mofo.
Given the chain of actions you ascribe to this individual, he sounds suicidal.
--
Tweak

This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------030804070101040103070607 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To answer the "what would you do?" Not have shot the fellow 5 times after having him on the ground. Were the situation extreme, perhaps once, but not FIVE times. Of course I suppose the MIB may have made an error and left his weapon on full automatic. Here's a link covering the incident: http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050724/ap_on_re_eu/britain_underground <http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050724/ap_on_re_eu/britain_underground
Graham wrote:

--------------030804070101040103070607 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
--------------030804070101040103070607--

Now ask yourself. You believe this individual has a bomb under his coat( the reason you are chasing him down) Do you shoot center of mass and hit and set off the bomb? Or do you shoot him to the head? Maybe knock him down first to make it easier but get it done before he sets that bomb off.
Dennis
D&JWatkins wrote:

Dennis, you're absolutely right about using a headshot instead of a torso shot in these circumstances - I was more concerned that they'd had to use 7 shots to the head from close in to be certain of a kill. I thought the maxim these days was quality, not quantity :-)
G.
--
Graham J. Platt
graham (a) bowhunter (d) demon (d) co (d) uk
Graham wrote:

Just curious, but exactly what kind of explosives that are used by terrorists would be 'set off' by being hit by a bullet?
I thought one of the points of a torso shot was that you had a better chance of hitting the target, rather than missing the head (and often having the bullet glance off the skull).
David Erbas-White
David Erbas-White wrote:

I've been wondering this exact same thing for forever and day. What are these explosives that these terrorists are using?? Are they mixing it up themselves? Buying on the black market? Wouldn't be ANFO would it?
Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75
nedtovak wrote:

Unlikely it was ANFO, in large quantities, it's cheap and effective, in small quantities it's less effective and more suited to blowin' Bob and Bubba's stump. (tree stump, that is!) ANFO would also be harder to detonate than more powerful and less stable compounds. Suicide bomber's don't care about safety.

It's been reported over here that they're making acetone peroxide and packaging that in foodsaver boxes of about 6 litres. It appears to be a very sensitive explosive, susceptible to flame/heat and shock.
Chris
--
Chris Eilbeck
MARS Flight Crew http://www.mars.org.uk /
David Erbas-White wrote:

Depends on the bullet, also the type of explosive and the detonator too. What if a bullet were to set off the triggering circuit/mechanism?
Also, if He had been a suicide bomber, a head shot would prevent Him from committing suicide. Unfortunately for all those involved, the Guy was not a suicide bomber. Just a Darwin award winner.