[OT] Patriot Act renewed

anybody notice that the majority of the Patriot Act was renewed permanent? with a couple sections being semi-permanent for 10 years?

that should be about enough time for the USA to completely become a fascist state..

I wonder if they read it this time around? naww.... that would be askin too much from our congress critters....

shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

The House version passed (257-171) The Senate version will still need to pass and then the two versions of the bill will have to be melded into 1 and then the President gets to sign (or veto).

I still hold out hope, but at the same time I know its a false hope.

To see how your House Rep voted, check out:

Hows that song start out? oh yeah..."Oh Canada..."

-Aaron

Reply to
Aaron

Ya really think our government is better at their job than yours?

We've got our own problems...Sponsorship scandal, a minority goverenment that needs approval from at least one other party to get any legislation passed, ridiculous taxation rates, and to top that off, we have Adrienne "I can't spend it fast enough" Clarkson as our Governor General (a holdover position from the monarchy that really doesn't do anything except spend my tax dollars).

Having said that, we also don't really have a guns in schools problem, our marijuana laws are very relaxed and rarely enforced for simple possession, our drinking age is 19, and our beer is better!

So it's a trade off really. I'm not trying to start a "my country is better than your country" flame war, just pointing out that our goverments, federal provincial and municipal, are really not a whole lot better than yours. Mind you, we haven't elected any bad action film actors or professional wrestlers to office yet either...;)

Randy. Melbourne, Ontario That country directly north of you....(unless you are in Detroit, then it is actually a little south and east of you)

Reply to
R & K Bilyea

Blame Canada . . . blame Canada . . .

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

There's always tomorrow.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Well shocky,

If you are from this earth, you would have heard from the tragic events of September 11, 2001, which changed the world forever.

Rather than tinkering with the "Patriot Act" in the US, this "Patriot Act" should be adopted by legislators around the world to pave the way to fight global Terror.

Listen PM Tony Blair ....

And finally, a big thank you to President George W. Bush, for being such a seasoned world leader.

Al from the UK

----------------

Reply to
Al

Al, quit trolling, please. Or if you're not trolling, go read up on what you're talking about first.

There's an old phrase: "it's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and prove this conclusively."

Sorry for being direct.

G.

Reply to
Graham

How long will it take before the "Patriot Act" goes down in history along with McCarthyism...

Bob Kaplow NAR # 18L >>> To reply, there's no internet on Mars (yet)!

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

If you wanted the Patriot Act in England, all you had to do is let the Germans take over your country and all of Europe in WWII. You could have had this "protection" over 60 years ago.

Sieg Heil!

Bob Kaplow NAR # 18L >>> To reply, there's no internet on Mars (yet)!

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

September 11, 2001, which changed the world forever.

To the detriment of all who remember what freedom was before Fox News started telling us what it "really" is. And we're all from this earth, there's no place to run when the "Patriots" start Acting.

should be adopted by legislators around the world to pave the way to fight global Terror.

And free speech, and the Bill of Rights, and the Constitution.............All hail Big Brother! (hmmm, "1984" was set in the UK, you're in the UK and favor oppresive legislation......What was the old cry 250 years ago? "No taxation without representation"?). One does not give up freedoms to preserve them, not even temporarily. We had higher security during WWII because the citizens acted on their own as free thinking people, without needing a "patriotic" law or Fox News to tell them what to do.

seasoned world leader.

Yep seasoned. Kinda like salt.......in a wound.

Reply to
Zathras of the Great Machine

McCarthyism...

How long now before those that aren't the New McCarthy-ites become history?

Chuck

Reply to
Zathras of the Great Machine

should be adopted by legislators around the world to pave the way to fight global Terror.

take over your country and all of Europe in WWII. You could have had this "protection" over 60 years ago.

It could be that "national pride" type thing where you insist on doing it yourself, rather than some outsider. That, and they didn't need to have it happen again in WWII, the germanic Angles and Saxons invaded and took over about 1500 years ago (Angles/Anglish/English, hmmmm.....) when Rome pulled out. Of course let us not forget the first area to fall in the Isles to Roman domination is now called Britain proper. Though it should actually be "Prytannia", named for the Prytanni, the dominate CELTIC tribe the Italians met when they started their "trading settlements". You know, celts, though English archeologists insist they never existed so you might not know about them. Like Ireland, Scotland, Wales, etc., THOSE barbaric rabble.

Chuck

Reply to
Zathras of the Great Machine

Now, now, where's your patriotism?! How about "....and I'm proud to be an Amerikan! Where they let me think I'm free....."

Reply to
Zathras of the Great Machine

I predict never. Police states are persistent. Bureaucracies are persistent. Governments are persistent. All three apply here.

The constitution is dead. Deal with it.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Why?

Due respect and all, but it was only 3000 people and only a few buildings.

Yes it was a "moral blow" too, but how a society reacts to that is a CHOICE.

Look at London vs New York.

Nary a blip in UK from fairly agregious and damaging attacks.

911 and the knee jerk reactions to it dumped our entire economy, motivated the overspending of hundreds of Billions of dollars. Yes HUNDREDS OF BILLIONS.

Sounds like the perpetrators obtained the highest leverage of weapons cost to damage ever in history by a large margin.

Perhaps we should defend against THAT!?

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

"Al" wrote in news:dbt1g7$4ir$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com:

So people keep saying, but the reality is that human beings really havn't changed at all in the last couple of years, and the vast majority of the worlds population, who care more about finding something to eat, really dont give a rats about what happened in some foreign country.

This "changed the world forever" thing is mostly just an American idea. Dont confuse that with the world.

Reply to
GD

I quit building the estes Patriot ,in protest.We should all follow suit!

Reply to
spiff

Hay, your welcome to Bush, I'd be happy to see him go over there and STAY!

Reply to
Starlord

I agree that most people, most governments, don't care about anyone except themselves.

As far as the rest of the world goes, let's put it this way, if it can happen in the U.S. it sure as heck can happen anywhere else, and does.

Randy

<randyolb

I wish he would not use the name Al ;-)

Al Max