Reply to
Phil Stein

I read the whole transcript .. very sad

I'm sorry

- iz

Chuck Rudy wrote:

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

I've always wanted to try out RC helicopters but they seem too much like flying circular saws to me. If somebody could invent a kill switch for them they'd be a whole lot safer. And they say rockets aren't safe.

Paul

Reply to
Paul M. Cook©®

After reading that thread & looking at a few others, it seems that there have been several deaths caused by RC planes / copters. They also talked about how dangerous rockets are but, as far as I know, rocketry hasn't come close to their injury numbers & no one has been killed. People wacking fingers & occasionly losing them is common.

Phil Ste>

Phil Stein

Reply to
Phil Stein

It seems the most dangerous thing at LDRS may have been the RC helo camera. SDRCH ! Small Dangerous RC Helos. ;-) I saw a post about them throwing props close to the speed of a bullet......hover away! hover far, far away!!

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

so is driving a car chuck !

Reply to
ArtU

Phil,

I fly R/C airplanes and Copters, and Rockets. Yes, their are more deaths on Bicycles and In-line skates then even fireworks, let alone R/C.

Please, I don't like the fact that some one dies about every other year from an R/C model, but we still need to live lives.

People are scared of rockets more the R/C for reasons that seem more phycological then rational. Same reason more people are afraid their child will get hurt with fireworks but do even think about skates.

Oh,, well, have fun with your hobbies, all of them.

Art - see

to see me flying my copter.

pps

It's called the throttle level on the left side of the radio, you push it down and the copter goes down. also, an engine kill switch is on most computer radios, if you don't have time to push the lever down. many use it to practice auto gyros.

Models are safe, planes, cars, , copters and rockets.

ArtU

Driving a car is not a hobby, unless you drive it on a racetrack......then it's much safer than the street. :-)

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

by the way, I saw those smaller electric choppers (also RC) that is considerably cheaper than those larger engine powered ones... any thought on those? might get into those because the big one is too expensive and dont have enough space to house them....

Reply to
tai fu

When I was learning to fly RC planes, the one thing that all the instructors insisted on was that the throttle at idle was at least two or three clicks up from the bottom. That way the engine would be killed if the throttle was pulled all the way down. It worked very well. The engine would die within a couple of RPM.

Karl Perry QUARK, Cincinnati, OH

Reply to
KG8GC

Model airplanes with props on the front aren't much different...

Bob Kaplow

True, I earned that as well. Still have a few scars on my digits from props. I also watched one young man pick up his fathers plane after a flight, flip the prop and the motor started back up for a few seconds. Talk about a scared father.

But helicopters can have a clutch and auto-rotate, so you still have the spinning blades, even if the motor stops.

John

Reply to
John Stein

First sentence in my reply....should read: "True, I _learned_ that as well."

Reply to
John Stein

I have the century humming bird Tai. It flies great indoors in a shool gym.

If I fly it outdoors, as soon as a little wind comes, it gets pushed into the next yard and breaks a tail support , that I just glue back on again.

Still costs almost 2/3rds as much as a kyosho 30 sized nitro powered nexus however.

has a combo pack for about $269

/ArrtU

Reply to
ArtU

I fly the ECO 8 and enjoy it very much.

Lots of infos on my website at

Enjoy

Leo

Reply to
Leo Nutz

All the Heli's that I have seen here and in the ads in the magazines have hinged/folding blades. True, you could get a nasty whack, but the blade would not cut through as would a plane's prop.

Karl Perry QUARK, Cincinnati, OH

Reply to
KG8GC

The hinge will absorb *some* of the shock of impact being transmitted from the blade to the mechanicals of the copter, in the event the blade contacts something. But the blade alone possesses sufficient inertia to do serious damage, especially to soft tissue.

Reply to
BB

Cool site. That Piccolo looks like the perfect thing to fly in the living room (as long as the wife isn't around). I have a cathedral ceiling that's about 12-15' high.

Phil Ste>I fly the ECO 8 and enjoy it very much.

Phil Stein

Reply to
Phil Stein