[OT] Shuttle grounded again

Yes, weight was a significant factor -- 800 pounds.

David Erbas-White

Reply to
David Erbas-White

How many rocket-scientists does it take, to come up with a practical idea for preventing foam shedding? :-)

I'm surprised that nobody came up with the idea of covering the foam with a lightweight fabric wrap. A single layer of kevlar would prevent the foam from flying away from the tank, yet only decrease the orbiters' payload capacity by less than a ton.

Too simple a concept, I guess...

Reply to
Len Lekx

The 'coating' was merely white paint. I agree, though - covering the foam with something to help maintain its' integrity is a good thing. :-)

Reply to
Len Lekx

Since the foam appears to be sprayed-on and cured in-place (similar to the two-part polyurethane foam many of us have used), I have an idea:

Simply stretch some kind of "netting" woven out of fiberglass, kevlar, or carbon fiber over the outside of a bunch of foam spacers that have been glued at intervals to the surface of the tank (or "dollops" of the same foam), and then spray on the foam so that the netting is embedded just below the surface of the final foam layer. To visualize this, think of a high-tech cross between the nylon mesh netting that forms a "carry bag" for Butterball turkeys, and the wire mesh supported on concrete blocks that is used for reinforcing poured concrete slabs, like driveways.

The fiber net would be lightweight, but very strong in tension, and would "toughen" the surface of the foam, holding any cracked pieces larger than the gaps in the net firmly in position. That way, even if the foam cracks into huge chunks, it won't fall off the tank and damage anything during ascent.

- Rick "dollops?" Dickinson

Reply to
Rick Dickinson

Not that it's not a good idea, but it's about the 89th time I've seen it

-- don't know why it's not been adopted. I joined in some discussion about it with folks right after the Columbia disaster, but the 'consensus' seemed to be the weight factor. My attitude would be that if a little weight saves their lives, maybe it's worth it?

Don't feel bad, I suggested the same thing myself back then, and then found all the other folks who'd made the same suggestion...

David Erbas-White

Reply to
David Erbas-White

The white paint WAS eliminated due to weight.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Len Lekx wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Shrink-wrap it. Like they do for palletized cargo these days. ;-)

Reply to
Jim Yanik

"The Rocket Scientist" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Problem is claimed to date from when Freon was discontinued and a new foam formulation used,causing adhesion problems.

Maybe the ET was originally just painted white and they decided to use foam to prevent ice like the old Saturn rockets had dropping off upon launch.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

They should wrap it in panty hose.

Reply to
David

How much does 13,000 square feet of Kevlar weigh?

Mario

Reply to
Mario Perdue

They always had foam.

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

Len Lekx wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Two words - duct tape.

Reply to
Dan Major

It's no "subserviant chicken" but it will do.

Reply to
Fred Shecter

Seriously, why not fiberglass cloth over the foam to hold it all together?

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

Well, let's see, 6oz cloth weighs 6 oz/yd^2, 2oz cloth about 2oz...

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

kaplow snipped-for-privacy@encompasserve.org.mars (Bob Kaplow) wrote in news:$ snipped-for-privacy@eisner.encompasserve.org:

Well, I think the "big mesh bag" idea would work well, and be lighter than a "solid" layer of fiber plus resin. What about encorporating a re- enforcing material INTO the styrofoam (glass or kevlar fibers). It's done with a lot of things, from concrete to pyrotechnic mines and comets.

Reply to
Dan Major

I say use chicken feathers.

Reply to