[OT] Shuttle grounded again

My spell checker couldn't help Me with that one.

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

That sounds like a gohst chicken.

And while I personally hear "buck-aack", historically on r.m.r. the sound has been written as "pock' or "pock-pock".

I think I'll do a Google search.

My God, what a wonderful use of advanced technology!

;)

Reply to
shreadvector

No BOOOCK!

Randy

<randyolb

kaplow snipped-for-privacy@encompasserve.org.mars (Bob Kaplow) wrote in news:$ snipped-for-privacy@eisner.encompasserve.org:

Why not shrink wrap film,like what's used for palletized shipping?

Or maybe a giant condom.8-)

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Dan Major wrote in news:Xns96A2AC41B691soonerboomergbronlin@68.12.19.6:

This sounds like a good idea. Can it be incorporated into a minimally-expanding foam? You would want the lightest fibers that give sufficient strength. (excludes glass)

Reply to
Jim Yanik

That stoooopid ad with the GWAR clones has convinced me never ever to eat at BK again.

Those 'the truth' anti-smoking ads have convinced me to actually try smoking cigs. I bet the cigs taste better than BK chicken fries.

Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75

Reply to
nedtovak

Giant You say? :)

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

GWAR clones? Only BK ad I am aware of is the "tender crisp bacon cheddar ranch" add with the, ummmm, rather well endowed actresses. Add works, too. ;-)

Heh heh.

Reply to
Tweak

Everything tastes better if You deep fry it.

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

Oh god it's terrible; picture some modern day *metal* band wearing GWAR-like masks and having a mosh pit full of all too pretty actors and non-top-heavy actresses. Worse than mtv. I feel like puking just thinking about it, and it's lunch time :(

Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75

Reply to
nedtovak

Ick. Bless Tivo.

Reply to
Tweak

With sewn-together old socks, for all I care. The mere fact that they've been compromising safety to add a mere 1000 pounds of payload (less than 1/30th of its' total capacity...) is verging on criminal! :-)

Reply to
Len Lekx

Now wait a minute.

First of all the weight difference you are talking about was nothing more than paint. The paint gave no additional structural integrity to the foam. It did make the Shuttle stack look nice but when you consider that removing it means an additional half ton of science experiments or life support supplies for the crew of the Space Station, well, orange looks beautiful to me. When deletion of the paint was first considered there was concern that rain could penetrate into the foam adding weight but extensive testing was performed and the foam was more impervious to water than had ever been expected. So you choose, 1000 lbs. of paint or 1000 lbs. of valuable cargo.

Secondly, netting, shrink wrap, foam chemistry and many other reinforcement methods have been studied. There were also studies on foam application methods, insulation shaping and alternate insulation techniques but none have been deemed viable. Yet. Stay tuned for further developments. This problem will be fixed and we will fly again.

Thirdly, if you think we'd reject an idea that would improve flight safety for a few extra pounds of payload then consider the fact that these are people we know personally. There is no one who cares more about the crew of the Space Shuttle than those of us who work in the NASA community. The astronauts are more than just names to us. They are our coworkers, our neighbors and our friends. We work every day to improve the safety of space flight. I take issue with anyone who would suggest otherwise and suggest that they ask themselves if they would be as careless with their friends and coworkers' lives as they suggest we are.

Dave

Reply to
David Bacque

It's a awful big leap from "I have an idea" to NASA is criminally negligent because they haven't implimented my great idea. How much research have you done to prove that any kind of netting would help?

Mario

Reply to
Mario Perdue

It's awful arrogant of you to assume that:

1) in 5 minutes without knowing any details of the engineering, that you can come up with a solution that will work better than what they have 2) in 5 minutes without knowing any of the details, you can come up with an idea that no one on the space shuttle team has ever thought of.

Do you get upset when someone second-guesses your job? Knows what is best without having any idea of what you have to deal with? Then quit doing it to everyone else.

Reply to
David

I apologize - I've been having a bad day. :-(

Reply to
Len Lekx

I was indeed hasty in my statement, and I retract it.

Sorry...

Reply to
Len Lekx

I know, but that doesn't mean that the armchair quarterbacks are right.

Reply to
David

I have heard it discussed.

Dave

Reply to
David Bacque

Actually, it's happened several times. In my line of work, I tend to be closer to the problem than the engineers are... and can come up with solutions that, when presented, are adopted as the better course of action.

Granted.

Matter of fact, my work is second-guessed all the time. And no, it doesn't upset me... because my knowledge isn't perfect, and I realize that different people can see things from perspectives that I don't.

Reply to
Len Lekx