OT: So Much For Freedom of Speech

I find this deeply disturbing....

Jim Rutkowski Executive Chef - TrailerTrashAerospace

Jim

I find it really scary. We are losing more and more of our basic rights under the old Constutition. Bush and Ashcroft seen to be trying to make a police state.

Karl Perry QUARK, Cincinnati, OH

Reply to
KG8GC

Good Morning, Communist America!

Absolutely scary... but then, we Canadians just retired a Prime Minister who thought that pepper-spray was something you put on the dinner-table... ;-)

Reply to
Len Lekx

Same thing happened under Clinton also when some protested his Gun Control agenda and Her Health Care plans etc. It is not just Bush or republicans or democrats.

- Dale

Dale Martin

According to the article, the FBI reprtedly believes that "dissident speech and association should be prevented because they were incipient steps toward the possible ultimate commission of act which might be criminal" ...

Sheesh! How can these folks talk like that with a straight face and still call themselves "Americans"?

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

Hey, don't laugh. Depending on the brand, it can be pretty good.

Zooty

( Yes, I've spiced up food with pepper spray. No, it was not the 40 lbs of meatloaf I cooked up for the men's shelter. In case anyone needs to know, do not attempt to mix up all 40 lbs. at once. Trust me on this, folks! Especially if you're mixing by hand.... )

Reply to
zoot

It's like saying you have to forbid people from having kids because it is the first step in becoming a child abuser. It's amazing their reasoning. You have to criminalize people's behavior before they possibly become criminals. What next? They ban drinking because possibly somebody will drive drunk?

Paul

Reply to
Paul M. Cook©®

Care to back that one up, Sparky? Plenty protested each and nobody ever was imprisoned. If nobody had protested Hillary then we'd all be suffering with having health insurance. Now if nobody protested Ashcroft ...

Paul

/INGPQ40MB81.DTL

Reply to
Paul M. Cook©®

careful, this may not be a "free speech zone" :(

- iz (w> I find this deeply disturbing....

Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

Have made.

I have been saying so for a long time.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Aren't open-container laws essentially examples of this?

Doug

Reply to
Doug Sams

No, that just forces you to finish the bottle(s) before driving home. :(

Reply to
Alan Jones

Actually, that part is starting to lose significance, too... Society in general is becoming rather timid in its' actions.

The crux of the problem is the 'closed system' we live in. History shows that the most democratic societies are the wealthy ones - make the populace poorer, and you get dictatorships. In the 15th Century, the system was widened by the 'discovery' of the Americas. But since we can't open up the system anymore without developing extraterrestrial resources... and we're too timid to do that... we'll eventually wind up killing ourselves off.

Not a pretty picture, and I'll refrain from going further OT here. :-)

Reply to
Len Lekx

We as a culture ignore history and have no feedback and control loops installed, save the criminal justice system.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Seig Heil!

Bob Kaplow

Mercury* makes a mixer for batches that size...

  • the (former?) Brunswick division, not the Ford division...

Bob Kaplow

We need a secind bill of rights. AMong them is the law:

"No law shall prohibit any item or activity because of posilbe illegal uses."

Or something like that.

Bob Kaplow

Ah, but you forget that Gray Davis was recently black balled.

(Not that Groppenfurer is a stabilizing feedback...) ;)

Alan

Reply to
Alan Jones

I Like this part;

"Attempts to suppress protesters become more disturbing in light of the Homeland Security Department's recommendation that local police departments view critics of the war on terrorism as potential terrorists. In a May terrorist advisory, the Homeland Security Department warned local law enforcement agencies to keep an eye on anyone who "expressed dislike of attitudes and decisions of the U.S. government." If police vigorously followed this advice, millions of Americans could be added to the official lists of suspected terrorists."

Crap... did I just add myself to that list?

HDS

Reply to
HDS

Doesn't this example of implementation make the whole thing unconstitutional on its face?

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine