OT: So Much For Freedom of Speech

I find this deeply disturbing....
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2004/01/04/INGPQ40MB81.DTL

Jim Rutkowski Executive Chef - TrailerTrashAerospace www.trailertrashaerospace.com
I find it really scary. We are losing more and more of our basic rights under the old Constutition. Bush and Ashcroft seen to be trying to make a police state.
Karl Perry QUARK, Cincinnati, OH
KG8GC wrote:

According to the article, the FBI reprtedly believes that "dissident speech and association should be prevented because they were incipient steps toward the possible ultimate commission of act which might be criminal" ...
Sheesh! How can these folks talk like that with a straight face and still call themselves "Americans"?
-dave w
It's like saying you have to forbid people from having kids because it is the first step in becoming a child abuser. It's amazing their reasoning. You have to criminalize people's behavior before they possibly become criminals. What next? They ban drinking because possibly somebody will drive drunk?
Paul

under
police
speech and

the
Paul M. Cook wrote:

Aren't open-container laws essentially examples of this?
Doug

No, that just forces you to finish the bottle(s) before driving home. :(

We need a secind bill of rights. AMong them is the law:
"No law shall prohibit any item or activity because of posilbe illegal uses."
Or something like that.
kaplow snipped-for-privacy@encompasserve.org.TRABoD (Bob Kaplow) wrote in writes:

I'm picturing T-shirts with pictures of Bush and Ashcroft and the caption, "Some animals are more equal than others."
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (KG8GC) wrote:

Have made.
I have been saying so for a long time.
writes:

Seig Heil!

Not that I am an ardent supporter of The Shrub, but the current deterioration of our basic rights is rooted a lot further back in time, when "strict constructionists" began to be appointed to the Supreme Court. These justices hold the opinion that the only rights we have are those SPECIFICALLY granted by the government. I guess they never read the Constitution of the United States, or they would have encountered this little gem.
Amendment IX
The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.
Dubbya is only continuing in the same tradition of his predecessors.
Ad Astra! Bill Sullivan

That's neither an excuse or a defense.
On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 15:01:25 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@TrailerTrashAerospace.com wrote:

Good Morning, Communist America!
Absolutely scary... but then, we Canadians just retired a Prime Minister who thought that pepper-spray was something you put on the dinner-table... ;-)
On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 02:42:55 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAM.rogers.com (Len Lekx) wrote:

Hey, don't laugh. Depending on the brand, it can be pretty good.
Zooty
( Yes, I've spiced up food with pepper spray. No, it was not the 40 lbs of meatloaf I cooked up for the men's shelter. In case anyone needs to know, do not attempt to mix up all 40 lbs. at once. Trust me on this, folks! Especially if you're mixing by hand.... )
writes:

Mercury* makes a mixer for batches that size...
* the (former?) Brunswick division, not the Ford division...
Same thing happened under Clinton also when some protested his Gun Control agenda and Her Health Care plans etc. It is not just Bush or republicans or democrats.
- Dale

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2004/01/04 /INGPQ40MB81.DTL
Care to back that one up, Sparky? Plenty protested each and nobody ever was imprisoned. If nobody had protested Hillary then we'd all be suffering with having health insurance. Now if nobody protested Ashcroft ...
Paul

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2004/01/04
careful, this may not be a "free speech zone" :(
- iz (wondering what 'way of life' is left to protect)
snipped-for-privacy@TrailerTrashAerospace.com wrote:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2004/01/04/INGPQ40MB81.DTL

Actually, that part is starting to lose significance, too... Society in general is becoming rather timid in its' actions.

The crux of the problem is the 'closed system' we live in. History shows that the most democratic societies are the wealthy ones - make the populace poorer, and you get dictatorships. In the 15th Century, the system was widened by the 'discovery' of the Americas. But since we can't open up the system anymore without developing extraterrestrial resources... and we're too timid to do that... we'll eventually wind up killing ourselves off.
Not a pretty picture, and I'll refrain from going further OT here. :-)
snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAM.rogers.com (Len Lekx) wrote:

We as a culture ignore history and have no feedback and control loops installed, save the criminal justice system.
Jerry