OT: ( somewhat ) Beckham offered to join the stars .. or lawn darts ?

Source:

---------- "Beckham's chance to join the stars"

A rocket enthusiast hoping to become the first amateur to fly into space has written to David Beckham offering him a journey to the stars. Real Madrid's new signing has reportedly said he would love to fly into space following the end of his football career. This prompted Steve Bennett, the boss of Greater Manchester-based Starchaser Industries, to write to Beckham to offer him a ?500,000 trip. In the letter he said: "We are delighted to hear you have expressed an interest in space tourism and in particular a trip to the moon. "We are in a position to help you experience a sub-orbital trip into space in preparation for your trip to the moon." Mr Bennett, 39, of Hyde, Greater Manchester, has been building and launching rockets for more than a decade as he tries to become the first man to pilot a privately-developed spacecraft into space and back. His firm is competing for the 10 million dollar X-Prize, payable to the first non-governmental organisation to send three people 100 kilometres (62 miles) into space twice. Two of the four available passenger seats, costing ?250,000 each, have already been taken. One is being given away in an international competition, leaving the last available for Beckham to purchase for ?500,000. As part of the deal, full training will be given. Passengers will get the chance to experience a 23-minute flight into space and four minutes of weightlessness.

----------

Does anybody think that Beckham would make better deal with signing up at Mir Corp/Space Adventures instead ?

-kert

Reply to
Kaido Kert

Hands up all those who think Beckham is thick enough to accept the offer.....

Paul.

Reply to
paul

That's the general thought this side of the pond too!!

My money is on Burt Rutan...

PAUL.

Reply to
paul

Absolutely not. Beckham and Bennett are made for each other.

Reply to
Darren J Longhorn

I'll launch him. But the difference is I actually would, and successfully and SOON.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Could you squeeze Roy Keane and Sir Alex Ferguson in there too?

Reply to
Darren J Longhorn

Yes.

In that order.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

XCor is not even a contender. At least officially it isnt. I hope Armadillo does it. Most genuine garage builders approach, and they are very open about their developments.

-kert

Reply to
Kaido Kert

Armadillo is my #3. X-cor has unreleased tech that can do the x-prize and they are actually flying hardware now to aircraft altitudes. I believe Armadillo is not flying to aircraft altitudes yet.

Rutan's first serious flight will be to over 50,000 feet.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine