OT: ST Enterprise Gets the Ax

http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/news/article/9469.html
A sad say for geekdom.
Bill Sullivan "Propane is for the weak and timid. A true warrior cooks with
charcoal." - Worf's Targ Barbecue Book
the_rocket snipped-for-privacy@msn.com says...

Not really a suprise, though.
Didn't understand scheduling it against Stargate, either. One would think there are non-scifi programs against which to schedule.
--
Tweak

Being cancelled is a badge of honor for a ST series.
Jerry

Only if it gets a syndication deal later on... :-)
It's days where numbered when they moved it to friday night, that is always a doom slot.
They've just about run dry with ST anyway, same old...same old.
I'm waiting for the new Babylon 5 movie that's in the works.
--

SIAR
www.starlords.org

It's about time. :-) Where'd you hear this, and where can I find out about it?
I get the B5 newsletter and the project has been in the works for a few months, with one of the cast members passing away, they have to re-write it a bit. JMS himself lets out any news about it when he's not on one of the other projects.
--

SIAR
www.starlords.org
wrote:

concluded."
Wash you mouth out with soap. The REAL Battlestar Galactica was far better than that pile of crud they've pushed onto the sci-fi channal as BSG.
It should get the AX at light speed.
I'll wait for the next Babylon 5 movie to be made.
--

SIAR
www.starlords.org
starlord wrote:

better
Come on, Dennis. The original wasn't even good for the 70's. The new one isn't only an improvement, it's a rebirth. Have you even watched an episode?
ABC played the pilot film last month, so I watched it, even started to tape it, but 2 mins into it I shut off the tape and have since taped over that gross error of a movie.
Oh BTW, Glenn Larson still owns the Big Screen rights to BSG, so that crud will never disgrace the big screen.
One part was plain stupid, I can't see people gathering in an open field with nukes going on all around them and not getting fried out in the open or not having a nuke land right on them.
I will keep watching my own tapes of the REAL Battlestar Galactica.
And what they did to the old ship itself, they should be given a one way ticket to ZaHaDum.
--

SIAR
www.starlords.org
starlord wrote:

to tape

that
In other words, no. Way to keep that mind open.
I stopped the taping, but I did watch the whole stinking thing.
it had more screw ups than a box of screws.
nuff said
--

SIAR
www.starlords.org

Yeah, where is the little robot dog? And the guys blundering around in the cool chrome costumes muttering "By your command"? And the big Egyptian helmets? And the...
Wait a minute. Original BSG was cheesy when I was 12, now it's comical. All that was missing were sleestaks.
What I want to see is a tag-team cage match between Boxy/Muffit, Chaka/Dopey and Dr. Theopolis/Twiggy.
--
Tweak

IIRC, the magic number of eps for the syndication market is usually 100, though in some cases (especially in animation) it can be as low as 65 (five days a week for 13 weeks). The idea is for a tv station to be able to put a show in a Monday-Friday slot, and have enough episodes available that it doesn't repeat too often (this is also known as "strip syndication")
There are always exceptions. "The Prisoner," like most British series, have a very short run (Prisoner had 17 eps). But it and series like it do well in weekly syndication. "Fawlty Towers" had, i think, only 12 eps, and that was only because Cleese was persuaded to do a second series two or three years after the first.

Thanks for the info. It's still sad that it's being canceled, though, because the show has started getting better the last 2 seasons. It started off nice in the first season, but kinda slowed down throughout the second season as they started doing more shows built around "fleshing out" the characters, which is fine and dandy, but people want action these days. The third season was a good start when they started doing more stuff that spanned more than one episode and had the whole "seasonal arc" thing. This year has been the best so far. If only the whole time they had been doing episodes like they're doing now and had it in a better "viewing" situation, we might not be seeing such a premature demise of the show. We'll never see it's true potential. But at least we've got BSG to look forward to. Regardless of whether you think it's a worthy successor to the original or not, it really is a well-made show. DDP _______________________________________________ http://www.rebar-rocketry.com Selling the hottest model rocketry products on the 'net.
wrote:

transmission
I cant wait until Stargate Atlantis hits Canada. I'd love to copy that rocket auv.

You mean the Jumpers? Or the Wraith attack-ships? :-)
I mean what they sometimes launch through the stargate for aerial surveys of a planet, it recently carried missles to kill Anubis's warriors.