OT: Talley (OMGB) is on TV

Hey guys, if any of you have been curious as to what I look like you can find out by watching this Wednesday night's episode of Crossballs on Comedy Central. I'm supposed to be debating another teacher concerning TV and it place in the classroom. The show was a farce though. I was supposed to believe that all of these other guys were real when in fact they were comedians hired to make me say something stupid. I figured this out about ten minutes into the taping but had to remain "nice" as I was representing my school. The poor kid from USC who was defending Greek Societies on campus was a little slower to figure it out and was really ticked off after the show. It wasn't a complete waste however. I did get $200 bucks and a limo ride. The principal from N. Hollywood High who also appears on the show cancelled other meetings and went out of his way to present his case on the program. He was really ticked when he found out it was a gag. I don't blame him. What's sad is that I made it clear that I wanted no part of a "punked" or "Jerry Springer" type show and yet the producers repeatedly lied to me on both the phone and in email about the true nature of the show. They even lied about the name calling it the Debate Show. Oh well, that's Hollyweird.

Reply to
Reece Talley

That is wire fraud.

You could get more than $200 :)

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

You didn't watch the show before agreeing to appear on it?

Bob Kaplow

I have appeared on several shows without watching them first.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Yup, that's always been my warning to folks who get called to do shows. We got called to do "The X Show" which was a "Man Show" rip-off and found out it was legit, so a couple of our folks went and did it.

There have been stories about this ambush/bait & switch tactic for shows like Crossballs. They even changed the name of the show at one point. You see, if the show has not aired yet ('debuted'), you can't watch it first to see what you're in for. I believe the recent articles about this revolved around "Da Ali G Show" on HBO and how this annoying moron has ambushed Sam Donaldson and others. Ah, here is the link to the story:

I'll watch for the replays this week, but it sounds like you caught on and maintained as best you could.

-Fred Shecter NAR 20117

Fred Shecter

America's Most Wanted.

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

No, the show was filmed in April and May and then held until July for release. All of the literature including the check from which I was paid said "The Debate Show". It wasn't until I was on the set and saw the decorations that I found out the name was actually "Crossballs".

Reply to
Reece Talley

Really, although I was lied to, I figured out what was happening soon enough that I didn't lose my cool and say something stupid. It actually was kinda fun as I played along with the joke. After the taping we were (my wife was with me) rushed out to the waiting limo and taken back to our car which we had left at my school. The limo driver was really surprised to see us laughing and smiling. It seems according to him, that most guests leave the show really pissed. I can believe that. If you prepared for a serious debate and traveled cross country for this as some did, then you would have good reason to be angry. For me, it was just a very unusual evening and about four hours of my time.

Reply to
Reece Talley

Fred, this link you provided basically sums it all up. I had my suspicions about the show early on and told them I wasn't interested. They came back and made all of these assurances and I agreed to do the show. I thought it would be good to get education issues out before the people. When we arrived, we were secreted into a very small "green room" and kept in there until the moment of taping. Several of the show's producers came in and kept us distracted. In retrospect, I am certain they were both feeling us out to see if we were on to them and at the same time, keeping us incommunicado. After the first three questions I knew the other teacher was a fake. The trouble is he was Black and I couldn't risk making comments that would expose him as a fake or fool. His so called school was a Chicago inner-city school and his students were all disadvantaged ghetto kids. If I, the teacher from the private Catholic school were to attack him and his ideas, I could come off as racially insensitive or worse. So, I had to play it close to the vest and pretend that I thought this guy was sincere but mistaken in his assumptions and theories. In between takes I joked with the audience and poked fun of my opponents ridiculous ideas but on camera I bit my lip and played the straight man. If they had let me in on the joke from the beginning I would have given them the fun they were after. But I refused to allow them to goad me into being a fool unbeknownst to me. At one point, I almost spoke about my use of rocketry in my curriculum but thought better of it given the way these folks twisted things around. I shudder to think what they would have done with rocketry and terrorists etc.

Reply to
Reece Talley

And a cause of action.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Actually, you could probably sue them for false arrest. Reece, you be sittin' on top of a gold mine!

Reply to
The Rocket Scientist

Which ones?

Reply to
RayDunakin

Since you are a TRA zealot, I will use the example of the nightly news in Colo Springs at LDRS 1995 ish.

I was interviewed for about 3 minutes of airtime wherein I managed to mention Vulcan, Aerotech, U.S. Rockets, Tripoli and where the launch was.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I was thinking " Cops " .

Reply to
Christopher Deem

I just saw the show. I think you did well. Especially under those circumstances. I didn't think the ball busters were that good. I wonder if they toned it down so people don't get to upset.

Reply to
Phil Stein